Any Levinson owners/critics out there?

I am looking to build a new two channel digital system. I can read specs and listen at my local dealer but I am interested in the thoughts of real owners and past owners about levinson products. What is good, what is bad, why do you keep it, why did you get rid of it etc. I am looking to spend about 10k (used) on digital source and amplification.
I will be using Revel Studios or B&W nautilus 802's. Other products in this category are welcome. Keep in mind that cosmetics are important to me. I know that ONLY THE SOUND MATTERS, but when one pumps buttloads of discretionary income into the joy of music, PRETTY is an easier pill for those who just don't understand to swallow. (spouses) Thanks for your input.
Brian
griswold
Talk about opening up a can a worms!!!

One thing is sure in this hobby, you can always find a critic, especially against the "leaders" in the field.

Audio equipment, like music itself, is subjective, we all have our preferences.

I have to agree with you about asthetics! For a lot of us, our equipment sits in the middle of our living room; but even besides that, when paying these prices there is no reason they can't be attractive as well.

This again is an area that is subjective. I personally like the look of Levinson gear a lot, as well as Classe and many others. (As a side note, I have never paid much attn to Krell, but I was in a store recently that carried their line and I don't know if it's Krell's new look, but they had several Krell units in silver with polished corners that were beautiful!)

I also feel ML is second to none in fit and finish and quality, all functions should work flawlessly.

If you can bring some pieces home and you find you love the sound, I can think of NO reason not to purchase them. There are other fine lines as well.
Brian,
I have been a proud owner of Levinson equipment, for many, many years. I am currently using a 380 preamp, because I play a lot of vinyl, and 33h monoblocks, through a set of Revel Studios. My previous system consisted of two Levinson 332 amps in a biamped configuration, run through Revel F30's, at first, and then the Studios.
I love the Levinson amplifiers, and I also find their appearance very pleasing.
I have never been a huge fan of their digital front pieces, though. I have used Wadia cd players, for the last few years, and find them to be a lot warmer. I recently sold my Wadia 860, and brought home one of the new 390s cd players home to audition. To me, it was just way to bright with the Studios, which are a little bright themselves, in the setting that I have them in. I took it back and purchased a Wadia 861 from a fellow Audiogon member.
Let me know if you want to biamp a couple of 331/336 series amps. I have a set of y-adapters, from Madrigal, that I am not using.
The 33h monoblocks might be a little bit much for the pocketbook, just starting out, but there are lots of Levinson amps, for sale, here on Audiogon. You are on one of the best places in the world to shop for used Levinson equipment.
Also, if you ever run into any problems with their products, they have a wonderful service department.
Have fun putting it together. Apart from the listening that's the best part for me.
Hope that helps.
Mike
I own Reference 20.0 amps, 380S pre, 36 DAC, and 37 transport. I am very pleased with all pieces. However, I did own a 38S, and did not care for it. It was too dark and sounded like a curtain had been dropped on the soundstage. I have also heard the 26 (I think that's the right number) pre-amp. It was fantastic, and though I could not compare the 380S or the 38S to the 26, my guess is the 26 and 380S are fairly close in terms of transparancy and imaging. As to the DAC. I've heard the 360S and it is clearly superior to mine--but for critical listening I mostly listen to vinyl. I have heard (mostly on this website) that the Aero Capitole is something to audition for a digital front end. Less money and as good or (most have said) much better sound--leaving you a few more $ for amplifier(s).
I bought a 39 CD player and upgraded it recently to a 390s. The 390s sounds much more dynamic and more detailed/brighter. I really like the build quality, and I appreciate the availability of an upgrade path. ML is a highly reputable manufacturer, a high end boutique producer with the consistency and commitment of a large corporation (i.e., Harmon International). Cosmetically, the unit is OK -- it doesn't look exotic (no blue lights or fancy glass a la MacIntosh or Hovland) or ultra high tech, more like pro-rack stuff that's had its rough edges rounded off for consumer use. This CD player doesn't seem to share many cosmetic elements with ML's basic amps.