Best Pre-amp under 2k-USED

I'm having a hard time deciding on a pre-amp. Being fairly new to this hobby, I'm not even sure if I want to go SS or tubes. I have been seriously considering: Krell KRC-3, Conrad Johnson PFR, Levinson 38, Adcom GFP-750, Classe 47.5 and 50 on the SS side and BAT VK-30, Rouge Audio 99 and Melos MA-333r on the tube side. Also included in my list are various models from Audio Research and Pass Labs. I definately want a full function remote and would like to have the flexability of HT pass through. I'd like to get a unit that is considered a "high-end" product which will also match well with a Citation 7.1 amp and an Arcam FMJ CD-23 cdp. Speakers will be my next purchase (right now I'm switching between an old pair of ADS L-710's and a pair of Wharfedale towers.
say811
Ernie, i was not "slamming" any of the Pass designed gear in any way. If you've read more than a few of my posts, which i know you have, you would know that i am a BIG fan of Nelson's work and typically recommend his products whole-heartedly.

As to his preamps, my comments were primarily based on his older Threshold designs as i'm not real familiar with his current stuff. I'm sure that his newer products are good, given his knowledge, experience and parts quality that we have available today. In fact, i've had other people recommend his model "L" ( i think that's what it was ) to me for use in my Father's system. With that in mind, it is "commonly accepted" that the older Threshold preamps were "etched" sounding. If you took offense to what i said, i'm sorry. I probably should have clarified myself better.

In terms of prefering a "coloured" preamp, that is not my bag either. I have always been a "straight wire with gain" man when it comes to preamps. My normal preamps of choice have nothing more than a volume, balance and mode selector on them. Like Nelson's designs, they stress wide-bandwidth, speed and simplicity. Those are all basic design considerations that i look for when shopping for products. After all, the more circuitry that you have, the less "pure signal" you are likely to hear. Sean
>
Auditioning gear is unfortunatly not an option for me so I'm trying to put togeather a system based on info gathered at audio sites(mainly this one) and reviews. Also, being a novice, I'm wondering if I have a sophisticated enough "ear" to tell the difference between a high end unit and something which audiophiles find lacking. Is there a big difference between my Adcom GTP-760 pre-proc. and a high quality pre-amp? When I upgraded my Cambridge Audio D-500SE cdp to the Arcam FMJ CD23 I heard what I BELIEVE to be an improvement in bass and in a sence of 3D spatial characteristics, but the difference was relatively small.

That being said, I find the music sometimes a little on the "thin" side and would like to get a heavier, more robust sound without losing detail and clarity. I also would like to get as much of a sence of space and precence as I can. I realize that my speakers are not up to snuff but I'm trying to get my electronics in order so that I can do justice to a really good pair.

Thanks again

Steve

P.S. I've noticed that after two posts on pre-amps, I've seen but one Krell recomendation. Should I infer anything from that
Say811, Krell makes good products and many people enjoy them. I used to have an all Krell system - but I think my ears got better as time went on. Today, I cannot listen to and enjoy Krell as much as I could a year or two ago.

If you are looking for body in your music, IMHO Krell is not the product for you.

If you take my earlier recommendation and try a Triode preamp from Supratek, you will see an enormous gain in musicality of your system - you WILL hear a difference. Regardless of your other components, the Supratek will transform your system.
Lately I've been leaning towards tube pre's. Looking for something with a full feature remote and some sort of HT pass-through or integration possibility. I would also like to run a powered sub.

Any thoughts on Audio Research LS-16 vrs Sonic Frontiers Line-2 vrs BAT VK-30

Thanks,

Steve
Say 811. visit the Supratek website. I think Mick will make his tube pre with cinema by-pass. Other than that the only options I know of with those features are from Kora and VAC.

http://www.cantech.net.au/~supra/>