Preamp Showdown: BAT or Sonic Frontiers?

Some reviewers seemed to feel the BAT preamps sound more real than the Sonic Frontiers. Yet, I have read criticisms on BATs having soggy bass and a lower midrange added "chestiness".

I use an older SFL2 with a AR VT-100 into B&W 802 Matrix 3's with outboard North Creek crossovers. Do you think a newer Line 3 or BAT VK 30 would be a noticeable improvement?

Or, how would you characterize your experiences with any of these pieces?
kevziek
I have extensive experience with both the VK-5i and the VK-50se and they do not have soggy bass. Must have been a problem somewhere else in the system.
Well after you've made your choice find thatbuddy who loves your speakers then sell for $2K-2500 and try the new 803.Staying with everything you like about your current speakers but new one's blow 'em away for $1K more list.
Could hardly believe it when I read your post. My system is a BAT VK-200 power amp into B&W 802's with North Creek xovers, and I just put a VK-30 into the system. It has made the music come completely alive. All who have heard it agree that it has made the difference between listening to stereo and enjoying music. I have heard SF pre's and I thought they sounded rather sterile. If you're a detail freak, you'll love its sound. If you prefer music, go with the BAT. Bass is not soggy, but is not pure slam like so many hi-fi's. If you listen to real music, there is not much slam to it. The BAT plays a tuneful bass, with overtones and resonances of the instruments.