High End Components - How long do they last?

Happy New Year to everybody! Being on the high end market almost a year, I was wondering how long top level, well build high end components do last. A friend of mine has some Levinson components from the seventies... still terrific sound! Of course the answer will depent on the brand, but anyhow it would be interesting to hear different stories.
koen
I have a linn sondek that is 26 years old and still going strong . This is now in the second system as I have a basis 2001, graham 1.5tc in the main system. the linn has had many upgrades over the years but not in the last 8 or 9 years . I still like the linn.
I bought LUXMAN when they first come to America in 1975. I still use my amp, preamp and tuner as a second system. My first system is now 1995 vintage Krell.
Hey Detlof, my Stasis 2 is still going strong, as is it's running mate, a Levinson ML-1. Keep company with a Revox B77 Mk II and Yamaha T-1. Ah the 70s. Total cost of these 4 pieces probably wouldn't buy a good preamp today. And ignorance was bliss - didn't worry about ics, pcs and speaker cable, just enjoyed the music!

Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.
Does the performance deteriorate over time even when everything is working properly? I guess the best analogy would be a car. Even though the car is still working but the acceleration is not what it use to be. Does the same thing happen to high end component.