Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
In my 30 years as a 'recorded music' fan, I have not heard anything as stunning as Burmester electronics, a company started by a musician/engineer. Burmester has all the virtues of tubes, with the quickness of ss. I had a McIntosh MCD500 for a year, and was quite impressed with it. Their amps are decent also. But, their preamps do nothing for me-no magic or emotion. For me, music is about passion and emotion, and Mc gear does not do it. However, I am old enough to know that it does not mean Mc gear is not good stuff because I did not connect with it
Talk2me - My only piece of Mc gear is the MCD500, which I have found to be musically quite impressive at its price point. Since you no longer have your MCD500, did you replace it with another CDP? If so, may I ask what replaced your MCD500 and what you prefer about it over the MCD500?
Well, I think that Audio Enthusiasts do indeed use McIntosh. McIntosh has it's unique sound just like (not that same as) Audio Research and others. Many really like the Mac sound. I have heard some wonderful sounding McIntosh equipment. As always, equipment interaction and speakers make a big difference. I have heard great McIntosh equipment through exceptionally bright speakers and it drove me out of the room. However, it wasn't the McIntosh electronics that was the problem. But, to elaborate, I have heard top of the line Krell equipment that was wayyyy too bright for me. Swapped the equipment with some other high end equipment through the same speakers and wow! great sound. So, in my experience, Krell is still too bright for my taste, but for some other people, they love the Krell sound. To each their own. McIntosh makes some really good/great equipment. But, as with any other manufactures, it has it's own "sound".

enjoy
If you can get past the big vu meters, build quality thats over the top, a company that has making gear forever, and represents a status symbol that you have finally arrived, you could actually settle on something else less attractive. However as good as it is there could be something better depending on your personal tastes and what your trying to match it with.