Selling on Agon question

Hi, I have an ad out, and someone with no feedback, from Mexico City, has expressed interest.

I am slightly wary, are there precautions I could take to ensure I don't get burned?

I was thinking:

-Insist on bank check/money order, wait for funds to clear before shipping.

-Ship UPS and choose the option to have the buyer have to sign for the item

Does that cover me?

I am wary of accepting paypal for this transaction as disputes usually go to the buyer, and this person could claim the item was damaged and ask for money back or something like that.

Any thoughts based on your experience would be much appreciated.

-Stephen
sandman012
My personal feeling on this subject is avoid international transactions altogether unless you're prepared for all the potential hassles.
BTW: I have cashed Canada Post money orders drawn in $US at USPS.
I believe you are also safe if the buyer sends payment via Paypal as a personal payment, for which there are no fees within the US and half a percent for international payments.

For shipping, Fedex now quotes prices including customs brokerage fees, which are reasonable and can save buyers surprises on the receiving end. Note, the service includes the brokerage fees, not government duties and taxes which are usually paid after shipping on the receiving end before or at delivery/pickup.

One last thing: I place no faith in the PPal Buyers Protection Plan. I had to initiate two claims, one for an amp that was never shipped (as verified by the seller), and one for an amp that was not functional on delivery, and Paypal was useless in spite of ample documentation. If the seller drains their PP account, PP can't do a thing for you. Fortunately I paid with a credit card.
I was just talking about purchasing a money order, not shipping.

We all know each shipping company can and has damaged audio gear while in transit, however I would never, and I mean NEVER use the Post Office to ship anything that is fragile. I would ship cables, or books, or DVDs etc, but never would I send a piece of audio gear. I used to work at the Main Postal center in the town I live in and after seeing how they sort parcels you would not ship anything but mail. Note, I have also been in multiple UPS sort facilities, and they have their own issues but it nothing compared to what I saw at the post office. Never been in FedEx.
Rja,

I stand corrected concerning the USPS money order.

I try to learn something new everyday.
I've sold several pieces into the Asian market. I would require the buyer to do a wire transfer and if he does not want to set up the shipping himself be sure to get tracking info, way-bill numbers, etc. and require a signature at delivery and notification of delivery.
Sounds complicated, but actually pretty simple and safe. Everyone is protected and happy!