Would you trust a local dealer to help you put

together a modest system. (think $10k). Let's say you got tired of the whole "system building on my own thing." If you had a good local dealer, would you go take a chance on them and say "I want speakers, an amp and preamp (or integrated) that will sound good in a small to medium size family room." "I already have my sources." What's your take on this?
foster_9
This thread has morphed a little, which is ok, but I want to come back to the original premise: would you just let the dealer pick the system for 10 grand?
My view had nothing to do with whether you could trust the dealer- assuming the best intentioned dealer, with good ears, and access to a wide array of different equipment, the dealer's sonic 'taste' may still be different than yours.
I have certainly relied on dealers in the past and will continue to do so- and i believe there is value in that: in addition to benefitting from their wisdom (with the right dealer) and the ability to get access to some hard to get equipment, they can (generally, not always) provide support, like help with set-up, loaners, handling repair processing, and accepting trade-ins and trade-ups.
At the same time, I have had any number of negative experiences with dealers, including some in NYC.
Even the best dealer is sometimes constrained by the lines they do not carry.
if you are a problem solver, you don't need a dealer. learning the basics about component function and mismatches is necessary.

then trial and error will eventually lead you to a desirable result
Whart, and everyone, in my original post, the premise is whether or not to trust a dealer to "help" put together a system for around 10k. Once the dealer does this, then the decision is made whether the sound of the system warrants a purchase. This would require much listening /auditioning. Andrew, my reference sound goes back several years to a McIntosh and Paradigm S8 system I heard, and also to a system I had in the 80's consisting of a Nikko integrated, Dual turntable and ESS AMT 2 speakers. But I realize I need to get out to some dealers and hear some systems.
foster, i misunderstood the premise. then yes, of course, take advantage of what a good dealer can offer you. (and by that, I don't mean tap their knowledge, and then buy on line), a good dealer is, to me, worth the premium if they can offer the kinds of support that i mentioned as well as an array of good two channel equipment. sometimes, the 'premium' is not a premium at all.
mr tennis- yes, of course, independent research is not only important, but fun, it is part of the hobby. however, trial and error can be expensive.
one of the added benefits of using a good dealer is the opportunity (not always, for every piece of equipment) to get a home trial before you buy.
that can save grief, and money.