In defense of quantum products.

There are many audio products that have the word quantum in their name. The brand names Synergistic Research, Bybee and Kemp and Audio Magic come to mind. There are others.

Frankly, some of the explanations for these products are difficult for me to understand. I understand the general theory of quantum physics but when it comes to the details I often find myself getting lost very quickly. Are the explanations offered up by makers of quantum products accurate or not? And does it really matter? Is audio about understanding what manufacturers say or about enjoying the music?

Personally, I am only concerned whether the product works in my system. If the explanation is satisfactory but it does not deliver I could not care less about the theories offered in their defense. Happily, I have been lucky with products from Synergistic Research, Bybee and Audio Magic. I have not used any Kemp products yet.

What have your experiences been with quantum products?
sabai
I don't see how "quantum" models relate to audio sound quality in any meaningful way.

A quantum model to me would infer mostly a different and inherently nebulous way to market a product. A different way to tell the same story in the end essentially that makes a product seem more revolutionary or innovative than it really is.

I proceed with caution with any products marketed based on such a model. It's almost certainly a marketing ploy based on principles whose application to the task at hand are nebulous at best and done most likely merely to increase the perceived value of the product.
The irony, of course, is that everyone pretty much thinks that quantum products are a marketing ploy, so how does that improve sales for such products? Everyone likes products with easy to grasp explanations, like vibration control and EMI/RFI absorption. Seems like the best thing to do in such circumstances is for the manufacturers to stay mum about the quantum technology.
Sarcher30, No nerves hit. Just want to be fair to both sides. Thanks for your impressions of the Nordost Quantum. I have always been curious about it but have never heard it. There are a lot of positive reports about it. Your impressions show there are 2 sides to the story.
I am not a physicist; my PhD is in the History of Science. But I have read quite a few book on Quantum Theory and find the explanations offered for "Quantum" effects unintelligible. Most apparently refer to "Quantum Tunneling" , which is a critical process in the operation of the Universe. Without it the Sun wouldn't be hot enough to burn for example; or certain electrical devices operate at all. It involves to ability of particles to jump barriers that Classical Physics forbade them to cross by borrowing the energy to do so from the background field. Or else there are times when the barrier does not exist; take your choice. As best I can determine certain manufactures claim that processes they use somehow facilitates this effect. If they can indeed do this; and assuming it would give a desirable effect; what I can't understand is why they are f##ting around with hi fi accessories instead of writing their Nobel speech.
Mapman, There are many "quantum" products reported to improve the quality of high end audio systems. These reports are the subject of countless threads on Audiogon and other forums. They are about products from such companies as Synergistic Research, Bybee (there are two companies marketing Bybee products, I believe), Audio Magic, Kemp and Nordost, among others. There are an awful lot of people who have recognized "quantum" products as being innovative. With all due respect, I believe you are swimming upstream here.

I have products from 3 of these companies in my system and they have brought an amazing improvement in the sound. I do not believe that these companies are worse that any others in the field of marketing. I do not think they are trying to create the impression that their products are "more revolutionary on innovative" than they are -- any more than any other companies. There is not a single manufacturer I know of -- "quantum" or "non-quantum" -- that does not "accentuate the positive". So, we should be wary of all claims, not only "quantum-related" claims.

I have no idea what this sentence of yours means: "It's almost certainly a marketing ploy based on principles whose application to the task at hand are nebulous at best and done most likely merely to increase the perceived value of the product."