Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
as i have often stated, the placebo effect is alive and well.

what may seem to be a product which will have no impact upon the sound of a stereo system, may be perceived as having a positive impact by some people. others may say it makes no difference.

so the answer is the free market, and caveat emptor.

let the market decide whether a product has value. if enough people buy it and claim that they like what it does so be it.

if a product is bought and returned, or is reported to have no effect, the word will get out and eventually, sales will cease.

this means that its more a matter of economics than belief in magic that will determine the success of a product.

eventually, the emperor's new clothes will be perceived.

let people produce what they want, make claims, and let consumers decide what works and what doesn't.

have an open mind , and let products succeed or fail based upon results.

the points raised have merit, but the time spent on this subject, or what would seem to be products which won't work, is overdone.
Mrtennis, while nobody would say there is no such thing as the placebo effect, the placebo effect does not explain away all tweaks, or even all outlandish tweaks. The problem is that some of these tweaks are so preposterous, so devilish, nobody would ever expect them to work. I.e., you "know" you've been given a placebo. Especially a dyed in the wool skeptic. So, when the ridiculous thing appears to work, there must be some other explanation.
Mrtennis, what you call the " placebo effect" works both ways. I you don't want to hear a benefit, you won't. Also you know that it is so powerful that people actually get benefit from placebos.

I also think the effects are binary. Some tweaks have great effect and some much less. Again this is a cost/benefit decision by buyers.

I still totally agree with your conclusion, "have an open mind , and let products succeed or fail based upon results."
Hey Bryon, don't be yawnin' at my boy Hamlet now...

if, however, the yawn was for Geoff, then I concur.