Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
Sabai, there are substantial variation in the sciences in instrumentation as well as in being able to do experiments that give information on causality. Double blind testing, especially in audio, is an invalid methodology as the indicator is not accepted by many as a isomorphic counterpart to the variable of concern.

Yes, evidence typically improves as a science matures from anecdotal to experiments assessing causality.

Engineering applies known laws from science to doing or making things. When dentists and dental schools looked for filling for cavities science came to their aid with known properties of materials, as well as warnings about their dangers. Virtually all universities have colleges of sciences as well as others for engineering.

Audio is engineering but beyond what electrical engineering can tell us. There is limited science about quartz, but little question that it impacts what we hear for better, worse, or very little. Science cannot help us on this, probably because it is not a sexy area for scientists. Geoff operates in this gray area. To some degree, we all do. Were there good science on all aspects of music reproduction, there would be few successful companies and we would all have basically the same systems.
Byron c - no, you did not touch a nerve. I've become quite used to, you could say even a little entertained by, such confrontations, as you call them. But I have to admit I'm a little confused by your comment, which seem to be your Big Gripe, that I don't explain my products. I actually have explanations for all of them with a couple of exceptions. So, it's actually you who has come out swinging before doing due diligence. By the way, your continued use of strawman arguments, (such as my lack of explanations), personal attacks and innuendo is duly noted.
as i have often stated, the placebo effect is alive and well.

what may seem to be a product which will have no impact upon the sound of a stereo system, may be perceived as having a positive impact by some people. others may say it makes no difference.

so the answer is the free market, and caveat emptor.

let the market decide whether a product has value. if enough people buy it and claim that they like what it does so be it.

if a product is bought and returned, or is reported to have no effect, the word will get out and eventually, sales will cease.

this means that its more a matter of economics than belief in magic that will determine the success of a product.

eventually, the emperor's new clothes will be perceived.

let people produce what they want, make claims, and let consumers decide what works and what doesn't.

have an open mind , and let products succeed or fail based upon results.

the points raised have merit, but the time spent on this subject, or what would seem to be products which won't work, is overdone.
Mrtennis, while nobody would say there is no such thing as the placebo effect, the placebo effect does not explain away all tweaks, or even all outlandish tweaks. The problem is that some of these tweaks are so preposterous, so devilish, nobody would ever expect them to work. I.e., you "know" you've been given a placebo. Especially a dyed in the wool skeptic. So, when the ridiculous thing appears to work, there must be some other explanation.