can this fact be accurate?

on a blog I read that there are 100,000 high end audiophiles out there. not sure if the author meant worldwide or in the u.s.a. if this is true the pie must get sliced pretty thin for manufacturers. any demographic sites out there that anyone knows about?
hotmailjbc
Tom and Griff, again just a guess, but I suspect that in light of current economic conditions and the uneven distribution of wealth, I would define "hi-end" as a complete system costing more than $10K, possibly even less. Hell, most people in this country have a tough time socking bucks away in an IRA or 401(k). In those cases, a family that can't even save for retirement would be absolutely nuts to drop even $1K on an audio system. IMHO.

Tom, you make a good point about digital and hi-rez downloads. But what about the cost of the rest of the system, e.g., pre, amp and speakers? Sure, low-fi or mid-fi might cost $5K or less, but here again, how many families can even afford that?

I realize that I am asking more questions than giving opinions, but when one looks at the amount of income the average family unit earns, it's a wonder how they even get by. So if making the mortgage payment and buying food is tough, how the hell would such a family go about dropping $5K, $4 or less on a music systme?

So yes, I suspect that the number of serious audiophile who wind up dropping $$ into audio systems could be low, perhaps 100,000 if not less. IMHO

That number seems to be a mite bit low, say by a factor of 10 or so, worldwide, IMHO. I believe it all depends on how the question is defined and what the folks asked perceive to be an 'audiophile'.

Way too many variables to consider.

My friends and family think I'm half in the tank with this hobby and I am, and always have been, doing this half heartedly: its just that I enjoy listening so much that it requires delving into the audiophile bog. It's become more of an academic adventure for the layman in me. Yet, I would answer in the affirmative.
Tomcy6 wrote:
Kal, I can't understand why the high end magazines push vinyl and denigrate digital when this is the path to a slow death for the high end. Can you set me straight?
There are two issues. One is that a large proportion of our readership remains committed to vinyl and they want to read about it. The other is that we do not denigrate digital and have devoted much to digital reproduction and, more recently, to computer-based media. One might see all this as an imbalance but that depends on your perspective.

I do not speak for any other magazines nor do I speak officially for Stereophile.
kal
Great first comment--really funny. Surprised that no one commented. Thanks for a good laugh.
Sounds a bit optimistic. The closing of many high end stores around the country paints a different picture.