Top 10 Snafus to avoid when building a good rig

OK, I'm sure we'll come up with more than 10. Whatever.

Maybe I'll compile the top 10 once we get a few.

I'll start with my #1: avoid putting speakers that are too big in a room that is too small
128x128mapman
I liked the statement with >>9 Diana Krall records collection<< to play on $50k worth of equipment LOL!
some components are better than others.

in fact. components are not absolutely better, but rather present a trade off of improvements and degradations.
Where can I get me sum'dem absolutely mo'betta components?! I'd like to trade in my degradation for some improvement for to make my music better! I say, accept no substitutes and look for the "Mo'Betta" certification badge. 9 out of 10 dentists have been paid off so that you can bask in the light of their endorsement of your irreproachable decision to go with the best your money can buy!!! It'll get you past the bouncer at heaven's gates. While you're here with the rest of the unwashed riffraff, you can impress your family, friends and neighbors who will all hold you in highest esteem for demonstrating knowledge beyond ordinary mortal's understanding. Why I'm getting weak in the knees just thinking about it. I am unworthy.
Ahendler,
Said it well. I get the impression from reading many threads that a number of people don`t have confidence in their own ears.
The components that elicit favorable - emotional responds and cause a strong connection with your music, that`s what you want(I hope). If others have a opinion or reaction different from yours, so what.
Substituting $ for experience. One of the more useful/enjoyable aspects of a hobby is that it's an outlet for risk-taking. Part of figuring out what you like is exposure to what you don't like.