A true believer

I like to look at the pictures and descriptions of the various systems belonging to our fellow Audiogon members. Personally I admire the most humble system. But some times I see one that just leaves me shaking my head in amusement.

I was looking at the featured systems today and found one that consisted of three components that reproduced music. A cd player ($7700), a integrated amp. ($4000), a pair of speakers ($10,500). Total $22000. A very nice system. But, and I mean BUT, another $71,431 in cables, tweaks, stands. Things that sometimes in the tiniest increments help in the reproduction of music.

Just saying.
agaffer
"what an arrogant statement!!! YOU found his reviews useless?? Why? Because he didn't say the nonsense you wanted to hear? Are you saying there is a difference between a music 'enthusiast' and an audiophile? hmmmmm"

My point rok2id is that I found a redundancy to his commentary that proved to be quite boring over time and I stopped subscribing, probably in the mid 70. The difference between a music enthusiast and an audiophile. Well this is a bit more complicated because I believe there are many music enthusiasts that are not audiophiles and many audiophiles that are not really music enthusiasts. An audiophile by general definition might be described as one that is focused on the "sound" of reproduced music.

"But I hope you weren't trying to insult me bying saying i'm just comic relief. :) If you think i'm comical, I suggest you read 99% of the posts on this site. I know my input is not as weighty as 'what time do you wear', or 'why don't more people like high-end audio?' when I read that title I roll on the floor. :)"

Well, if the shoe fits, live with it:) No all I'm saying is that you continuously harp on the same points but I'm not too sure you have had the experience of listening as some on this site have, thats all especially if you think all amplifiers sound the same. A Threshold sounds like a Krell, or Spectral sounds like a Boulder? come on now....the differences may not be apparent to you but they certainly are to those that can differentiate and are willing to pay, who's arrogant? Me?

"I mostly only comment on wire. I have a million questions, but no one is interested. I don't really care where most folks put themselves."

Yes, you have a million questions and you keep on asking, often sarcastically I might add. As I've stated before, I personally don't care what anyone believes about wire. I'm sure some don't hear differences and in many cases neither do I but as I've stated before, some will agree and some disagree, I have heard BIG differences in wire in profoundly negative as well as positive examples. Why not quit asking questions as to the science which has been pounded to death. After all, how can a wire that simply passes a signal make an effect on sound? To some it does, to others it doesn't to some in some cases yes, to others in all cases no. You just have to listen for yourself but as I have previously stated as well, the differences will be more profound the more resolving the system. This is one area where questions can't be answered, you have to listen and make your own conclusions.

Yada yada about playing in bands, listening to recorded. Many of us have as well. I don't place any value on my experience playing music since I was 10 to the present as having any value on what I hear in reproduced audio. Playing in a band or as a musician is not the way you hear it when you hear as a listener as opposed to participant. Listening not playing (performing) is the benchmark for me. I have been to countless concerts of all genres of music over the years, from bars, coffee houses, outdoor arenas, indoor areas, churches, schools, opera houses, auditoriums, any kind of venue you can name. It is the way live music sounds, the characteristics that make it sound live that makes ME an audiophile, trying to capture that, it is elusive for sure but it is what drives me, not Julian Hirsh, Len Feldman, JG Holt, Harry Pearson or any of them. It is the search for the truth as I hear it, not what I am told or read.

Over time there are people I come to respect and trust whether it be audiophiles or rag reviewers. It is for the consistency of what they hear, not necessarily their tastes, this is most important but nothing is more important than listening for yourself. If you are satisfied with what you are hearing thats fine but cut it with the PT Barnum malarky and try a new line, you still have the same audience:)
It took you an hour, to get through my post and you STILL completely missed the point of my comparison? SO- you are BOTH illiterate, and comprehensively challenged? A pity! The amp comparison you refer to, actually involved an OTL tube amp, a Hi-End SS, and a $220.00 Jap receiver(Jan '87 Stereo Review- 'Do All Amps Sound Alike?'), all of which differed from each other in measured performance and design as one could possibly assemble. You mention, in one of your lengthy/vapid diatribes, "Tubes amps are a different story. If you like distortion go tube." It's obvious that, even by YOUR impared judgement, the listeners that Stereo Repuke assembled WERE DEAF, or(at least) did not know HOW to listen. You were loosely quoting Shakespeare when you replied, "I think you do protest toooooo much!"(Silly me to think you so cultured, as to realize) Sorry, if I used too many multisyllabic words in this post. Grab a dictionary, and I'm certain even you, capable of muddling through it.
'My point rok2id is that I found a redundancy to his commentary that proved to be quite boring over time and I stopped subscribing,.

If the man said all amps sounded the same, why would you expect his commentary to be so diverse. redundant / same there is a connection.

'I believe there are many music enthusiasts that are not audiophiles and many audiophiles that are not really music enthusiasts. An audiophile by general definition might be described as one that is focused on the "sound" of reproduced music.'

I agree. I have said so in previous post. I call them gadget people. I like equipment, but I listen to and for the music. Some attribute every thing they hear to a component, I don't, I praise or blame the cd or the speaker / room thingy.

'I'm saying is that you continuously harp on the same points but I'm not too sure you have had the experience of listening as some on this site have, thats all especially if you think all amplifiers sound the same.'

I have no basis to criticize systems I have not heard. My ideas about wire are system independent. I have never been critical of anyone's system, I admire most of them because they are all more elaborate and beautiful than mine. So, since there is no knowledge or information to be gained on this site, I do tend to harp on the same thing.
I don't understand your point about being able to hear wire SOMETIMES. Why just sometime. If it can be heard, should be always.

'Yada yada about playing in bands, listening to recorded. Many of us have as well. I don't place any value on my experience playing music since I was 10 to the present as having any value on what I hear in reproduced audio. Playing in a band or as a musician is not the way you hear it when you hear as a listener as opposed to participant. Listening not playing (performing) is the benchmark for me.'

I will allow you to restate this. I assume you spoke in haste. It seems as if you are saying musicians don't know how to listen to music. I played as an adult, not age 10. Maybe musicians just know what to listen for. One of the old mags had a feature where they featured systems owned by famous music artist. very, very interesting. No krell:)

'If you are satisfied with what you are hearing thats fine but cut it with the PT Barnum malarky and try a new line, you still have the same audience:)'

I was not aware I have an audience. It was not my intention. If p.t. were alive today, he would be the largest wire manufacturer in the world. hahahahaha And I do respect you and many others on this site. In fact I must say that most of the people I have 'met' here have been outstanding folks. I never get mad or upset. As the General told the sgt maj in 'Good Morning Vietnam" Hell, its only audio. he said radio but the point is the same.
just remember in the future, I have no idea what i'm talking about. So you can all relax.
good listening
Not sure what Rok2id point of being here is? To save us from ourselves and to change our minds about buying something?

If you think this place is a joke then why do you post here? You have nothing to add besides you don't think amps or anything sound different?

Then you state you have lots of questions to ask, yet act like you already know the answer to everything?

Trolling seems more like the answer as you know (as I've read other posts of yours and always the same thing) that what you say is going to start an argument.
'It took you an hour, to get through my post and you STILL completely missed the point of my comparison? SO- you are BOTH illiterate, and comprehensively challenged?'

I did not miss your point, your so-called comparison was more like a very bad attempt at making an analogy. I am not illiterate. I can read, write and figure!!

'actually involved an OTL tube amp, a Hi-End SS, and a $220.00 Jap receiver(Jan '87 Stereo Review- 'Do All Amps Sound Alike?'),'

Ok,your memory is better than mine. The point is, no one could distinguish them. NO ONE can or HAS done it to this day. So lay off julian and stereo review. NO ONE can do it! Not even you. And this applies to wire also.

'Silly me to think you so cultured, as to realize'

Yes, that was silly of you.

'Sorry, if I used too many multisyllabic words in this post. Grab a dictionary, and I'm certain even you, capable of muddling through it.'

After reading it, muddling does come to mind. And get a dictionary and look up HUMOR, lest I think we are both comprehensively challenged!!