small companies making today's best products

i think the audio research, conrad johnson, rolamd, mcintosh, monster cable, esoteric, etc., are superseded in sound quality by many small independent companies which operate direct to the consumer.

most of the comments praising components of different types seem to mention small companies, who do not have dealer networks. why ?

perhaps innovation with out marketing or other constraints enables creativity and thinking outside the box to flourish.

when i consider my own system, i own cables from small companies, digital components from a medium sized and well known company, and an amplifier from a well known company as well as another amp and preamp designed by a retired professor from canada.
mrtennis
For me it is hard to what are big companies and what are the small ones beside the obvious ones like Sony, Marantz etc. What might be a small brand in one place can be big somewhere else. For example VanderSteen speakers a know brand in the US if I have to believe this forum. But where I live I doubt you will find 1 pair of vandersteen speakers amnong 1000 audiophiles.

Also I think Symphonic Line is a big name in Germany but beyond Germany it is mutch more a niche brand.

I know brand name =/ company size but still.

Anyone here knows about Metrum DAC's?
o think my intention of this thread is to imply that small companies that sell direct have an advantage over others which have a dealer network.

companies which don't have a dealer network don't have to contend with the problems which dealers may present to a manufacturer.

they may not have to be concerned with the need for a review, they may offer an audition for a period of time, only requiring the potential purchaser to pay for shipping.

dealers may or may not offer audition periods, other than some stores which will lend a component for a day or two.

in addition,it is nice to be able to chat with the designer and ask questions which many dealers do not or cannot answer
I've always brought home possible suspects from my local salon and keep them until I'm satisfied there fully run in, usually a few weeks. Then I'll do some research, including chatting up the designer when possible and reading reviews to see if there ramblings concur with my thoughts. Getting a few audiophile friends over to scrutinize the equipment and price is the final step. My dealer tells me I average trying six components in store and at home before a purchase. I must be a bloody pain in the arse.
Mrtennis, very good thread with well made points. I assembled my system somewhat recently and am extremely happy with all components. I will investigate some other cabling options in time. My small company choices are from Wavelength and Doshi. I don't see (hear) reason to EVER change those!
Extremely well designed and executed!