Disappointing Evening

I had some dinner guest's over last evening. I had my main system warming up just in case there was some interest from them in audio. I have a second system that was playing when they arrived. It's a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9000 that my inlaws gave me a few years back. Well soon enough a couple of them were commenting about the good music, so I asked if they would like to hear my pride and joy system, mostly all tube gear that (IMO) looks pretty cool with all the tubes lit up and sounds way better than the B&O stuff. No interest at all in the tube system and they hovered around the B&O loving the way the glass door opened and the arm moved to each CD. Boy was I insulted, all the time, money and energy I have in my tube system!
markpao
Shadorne: I can agree such reference dynamics cannot be ignored even from the untrained ear.
being gifted is not equivalent to being interested. many children have a musical talent but don't want to develop it.
You know it is really funny when I read this thread. As I note in many of the comments above about this hobby of ours the comments are really LESS about music than it is the hobby itself, the sound, the gear etc. This is perfectly evidenced by the OP question at hand which is essentially why don't people want to share the "music" when the emphasis is really on listening to the system and the sound that it make. It seems the folks were perfectly happy with the music playing through the B&O, not the sound of the music.

I can't imagine more than a given few that give a rats ass how a system sounds and even if they do the amount of attention among a group of intelligent adults having a get together is not going to center around a focused "sit down" listening to music, it just doesn't ever happen in my experience. Really think about what you expect. You don't want to force your guests to be bored to death, do you?

I suggest if you REALLY want to get that kind of focused listening get together invite them to a live concert instead. It has a better chance of leading them into coming home and listening to some music. That might open the door maybe, but don't hold your breath they might just ask it you wouldn't mind turning on the telly to watch "American Idol".
For so long now, we have all been reading articles about the death of audio as a hobby. We have to save the hobby! We have to find a way to get our younger listeners to appreciate a high end setup. We have to expose other people to the hobby! Exactly how is that done? If nobody cares then it's inevitable, the hobby will die!! It seems to me that many posters on this thread have found a way to avoid even attempting to do this because maybe they got the shaft like Mark. I say that people do care, otherwise this hobby would have died a long time ago. Turning someone on to music played on High End equipment is an act of sharing and spiritualism. It's not always a case of wanting to impress anyone with your equipment, it can be that you just want to turn on a friend/stranger/music lover/by presenting them with an opportunity for a better musical experience.
Maybe if you had insisted that your friends just sit down and take a listen to your main rig things would have turned out differently. Maybe not. Occasionally you get the 'right' reaction. An old friend of mine is visiting for a few months and she came over. She's a music lover and she said yes when I offered to 'show off' my system. She couldn't get over what she was hearing. She went on and on and was so appreciative of the quality of it all. I had a proud audiophile moment. Some people will tell you it sounds good but theyr'e very bland and understated about it. There's no enthusiasm. Not with this friend.