Music vs. Components

Greetings everyone. Here's a biggie: When you sit down for a session with your hi-fi, what do you find that you are really listening to most 1) the music, or 2) your components? Where and what is that mysterious, illusive, fine line between 1) simply and wonderfully enjoying the music and.... 2) listening critically for either how "great" your system sounds (such as trying to justify upgrades, tweaks, tube rolling, wire changes, etc.) or listening for all of the flaws and weaknesses of your gear. When does the tweaking stop and the enjoyment begin? Conversely, when is it time to improve and upgrade because, in reality, you would be happier if your system sounded better?
bside123
is the glass half full or half empty ? its half full and half empty at the same time.

as applied to this thread it is not music vs components it is music and components. it is the components that let you hear your recordings. when you listen to music you are ;istening to your components.

the question is are you listening critically or purely for enjoyment ?

can you ignore the deficiencies in the componsnts, as none are perfect, or is there something about the sound which interferes with enjoying the music.

thus the thread should be changed to :

analytic vs non-analytic listening

pne cannot avoid the components on the path to listening to music.
Today I stopped by the store where I purchased my speakers with two CDs in hand that I wanted to listen to on the Focal Grande Utopia EM speakers to see what was really on the recording in the lowest organ ranges. I'll admit to not being blown away by the sound of the crazy expensive system compared to mine. I'm not saying that mine is an equal, but I can certainly come home and not think that mine sounds bad in comparison. Even the salesman asked how much difference I was really hearing since he's been spending a lot of time with their demo speakers that are identical to mine and he's really loving them. I hate to say it, but I have not been as impressed with anything they have after the Krell amplifiers were sold and replaced with Asthetix amps, I believe. I really like the sound that they system had with the Krell stuff. One of these days I'll make them hook up some of the Pathos stuff sitting around for a listen. It's all way out of my budget, but if I win the lottery I'd probably start with Krell and Pathos for a demo.

It's listening experiences like this where I can relax about my system and just enjoy.
I listen to the music. Before I added acoustical room treatments I listened to the room.