immensely, the vacuum motor blew out it's gasket and began leaking like
a sieve. I was disappointed but thought OK stuff happens. Then my real
problems began. To say that their after the sale service is lacking
would be a huge understatement. Emails went unreturned for weeks,
attempts at phoning resulted in many messages left ignored and then
being told that they only respond to email inquiries, which again go
unanswered for weeks! Contacting all of their authorized dealers
doesn't help as no one seems to be able to get or stock the parts and
they tell me that it would take weeks for them to get them as well.
Finally after five months of effort I received my replacement motor
(which cost $240 plus shipping) and now six months later the second
motor has blown it's gasket and is leaking all over the place again and
I am right back to square one. No returned emails for weeks and weeks
and a pricey record cleaning machine ($2200) that is inoperative and
will be down for months and months again. Is their business so good
that they can just ignore their customers? Are the dealers really
unable to help as well? Am I the only one with this problem? Anybody
have any thoughts or ideas on how to help?
128x128dcbluesplayer
OK, here is the latest update. I initially emailed VPI on June 28th and have yet to have an adequate response, I mean 19 days later and seems that it is WAY too much trouble to even bother to answer their customers emails! I have sent several follow up emails over the last couple of weeks to Mike's attention in their service department but they have been ignored as well. Just can't seem to break thru the barrier that Sheila puts up to get to anyone who can or wants to help.

Just when I thought that I was totally on my own, a couple of the forum members have come forward to try and help (isn't it great when the Internet works like it is supposed to). Thanks to some combined efforts we have discovered that VPI sources their vacuum motors from WW Grainger and after a couple of calls to them (thanks to JR in the Grainger customer service department) I found that the vacuum motor VPI uses in the HW-27 Typhoon is an Ametek Lamb model 116757-13, Grainger found one locally for me and I was able to pick it up on one days notice. But the best part is that they charged me only $72.61 for the exact motor that VPI charged me $240 for last time! Don't you think that a 250% mark up is a little steep? What a rip-off. Now if I could just find who sources the foam gasket that goes between the motor and the catch basin I will be good to go. Anybody have any ideas on where to get one?
DC, As I mentioned, McMaster-Carr handles rubber, and foam rubber in about 12 different types. Can be gotten in adhesive backed, or non-adhesive backed. And the sizes are so diverse, one can find anything one wants.

I suspect VPI used a "lowly" Neoprene Foam Rubber Gasket, and this what it appeared to be on my own 16.5 RCM.

After all, the RCM isn't the space shuttle, so no need probably for ultra high temp, or flame resistant foams, or other ultra space age qualities needed.

Neoprene Foam Gasket will probably offer the best of all worlds, being resistant to any chemicals encountered with record cleaning, and the temps as well. The only thing I am not sure about, would be the Shore Hardness of the foam rubber, but they do have a scale, with descriptions.

As to how wide, long, and thick, a simple ruler will tell you that basically. I would suspect a 4" wide strip 24"-36" long would be in essence a lifetime supply. You would then have ample to custom cut the gasket with scissors-X-Acto Knife, peel the backing, and apply.

While your at it, buy yourself a 12"x12" sheet of 1/16", or 3/32" Neoprene Sheet from them, rip the cruddy Cork Mat off, and be done with the cork forever, like I have done.
If you have 2-3 RCMs to do, no prob, they can sell you a cut sheet 12"x36, which will be enough for 3 machines. The neoprene will last a lifetime, is easier to clean, keep clean, and identify dust-dirt.

The Cork Mat IMO was a poor choice.

I went with non-adhesive backed finally, as the first time I bought, and tried it, I went with an adhesive backed neoprene sheet from them, it was a little lumpy. It wasn't bad, and would've worked fine, but I am a fussy bugger, and wound up gluing the neoprene to the custom acrylic platter with Contact Cement.

The details of Mat installation are covered in full on AIVS's website, under "RCM Museun".

Keep us posted how this all turns out! Best of luck, Mark
I really like VPI turntables and had a fast and affordable turn a round on a rewire job but I remember when they stopped a distributer from selling me a dustcover for the list price of $99 because they just started selling it for $160.
I have always believed VPI's list prices are way out of control, and getting worse.
VPI has created a monster! In spite of their loyal following and years of great reviews, they chose to offer increasingly more upgrade paths than the market could absorb and, sadly are counting on their reputation to "see" them through.
I was attracted to them initially because of their upgade path. In recent years, this path has led us all down a road of confusion.
I think that as a company, that is so confused, as to answering customer's questions and keeping up with all of their own frequent upgrades.
It's a shame.
I would like to have answered, one question. Do they have more than (3) employees? The (live) female person you get,(Mon. thru Thurs.) if you're lucky, then there's Mike, then we all know that Harry must be around somewhere?
I could go on, but I have to ask myself... why? This is obviously a company who has been riding on their reputation for too long and, knows it!
It seems that you have been less than honest with your posts. Why posting and continue with smearing posts when you have been offered free service out of warranty. Those who want more of this story go to Vinyl Asylum and search for "[email protected]" post tread number 208.255.189.74

http://www.audioasylum.com

and HW answer:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/91/918444.html