Headphones - Senn HD 800 or Grado RS1i.......

Anybody here had the chance to compare the two. I see that this site leans more towards Grado while the general outside population leans towards the 800s as far as "best" goes.
Anyway, I am looking for soundstage and good bass too and will probably opt for one of these two models if they have these qualities.
thomastrouble
I highly recommend you listen to both of them and judge for yourself. They are different in several ways, and the only way to tell what will work for you is to spend time listening.

I prefer the Grados. The Grados tend to be more "musical" and "engaging" to me. They have a character that is warm and lush, while being exciting and fun at the same time. The Senn HD800 seem dryer and flatter to me. Headphone amps can also make a difference. The Grados seem to work and sound better with mediocre outputs (computers and iPods), and sound wonderful with Grado's own RA-1 amplifier. The Senn 800s require a good amp to get the performance out of them.

What do those terms mean, I don't know how to explain it? Most audiophile terms confuse me, especially when I use them. :D

In the past I have used HeadRoom to try different sets and they have been very good about returns and trail periods. They can be reached at www.Headphone.com

Remember to have fun and keep listening.... ;)
I'll give you a contrasting opinion to the good information HelloFidelity provided: I prefer the Senn's for their far superior soundstaging and general sense of dimension (which is difficult to attain in a headphone in my experience). They are great overall performers suiting all kinds of music. Grado RS1's occur to me as better suited towards rock. They are certainly easier to drive, and definitely sound quite different. Grado is known for a warmer sound with most of their cans. The RS1's certainly did occur to me as fun and engaging as stated above, but for the music I listen to, which does not include much rock at all, I prefer the HD800's. I would say in the bass department the RS1 would occur to have the slight edge, occurring perhaps as more full sounding, while I feel the HD800 is probably more accurate. The RS1 is usually not the Grado can someoone who is considering the HD800's would be considering. The more traditionally compared Grado would be their PS1000's, which would definitely give the HD800's a run for their money, at a slightly higher price.
Thanks guys - some good info there. Great to know I can ALWAYS rely on this site for some guaranteed feedback. I have been beating my head off the wall for the last couple of days trying to sort out some audio problems (studio) and posted on a main forum for the equipment eight times and although I had many views I had no responses. Still, I don't feel bad for myself as I noticed one guy on there with 32,000 views to his question and EIGHT responses!!!

Hey, I have been considering a Headroom Ultra Desktop amp to go with the headphones - any yeas or nays on this amp ?

Thanks Guys
Thomastrouble, the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop is an excellent amp.

I also recommend looking into the Grado GS1000 and PS1000 if you are considering the Senn HD800. Like Jax2 states, the Grado PS1000 cans are a good comparison for the 800s. It really comes down to personal preference.

What kind of speakers, headphones and systems do you currently like? Do you prefer a "solid state" or "tube" sound? What is the rest of your system and front end? Analog or digital....or both? The answers to these questions won't solve everything, but it might help us direct you in the right direction. Nothing compares to listening for yourself, but I'll do anything I can to help.
I also recommend looking into the Grado GS1000 and PS1000 if you are considering the Senn HD800.

I wouldn't go for GS1000's - I've had two different pairs. Soundstage they have in spades. Great bass? Not really, but OK. They also have a slightly recessed midrange which seems to work well for classical, but not as well for anything really mainstream (rock, pop, vocals, etc.). They are not like anything else in the Grado line, and they are rather distinctive headphones. They are completely not like the RS1's you are considering. They are outstanding cans for low-level listening (probably the best I've heard). I actually like them, but I much prefer the more versatile HD800's. For both bass and sounstage in the Grado line listen to the PS1000's. I'd try to buy your amp according to he heaphones you get and the music you like and how you like to listen to it. Headfi.org is a good resource for all things headphones if you can wade through the noise. No experience with the Headroom amp to make a comment.