Headphones - Senn HD 800 or Grado RS1i.......

Anybody here had the chance to compare the two. I see that this site leans more towards Grado while the general outside population leans towards the 800s as far as "best" goes.
Anyway, I am looking for soundstage and good bass too and will probably opt for one of these two models if they have these qualities.
thomastrouble

Showing 6 responses by thomastrouble

Thanks guys - some good info there. Great to know I can ALWAYS rely on this site for some guaranteed feedback. I have been beating my head off the wall for the last couple of days trying to sort out some audio problems (studio) and posted on a main forum for the equipment eight times and although I had many views I had no responses. Still, I don't feel bad for myself as I noticed one guy on there with 32,000 views to his question and EIGHT responses!!!

Hey, I have been considering a Headroom Ultra Desktop amp to go with the headphones - any yeas or nays on this amp ?

Thanks Guys
Hi Guys,

Just got the Senn HD800s along with the Headroom amp (very necessary with these). Anyway, while I was on the phone with HeadFi I asked them what other headphones they would also recommend for good bass response and they suggested the Denon A-HD 2000 (a couple of hundred bucks) and I told them to send me these also. Well, as it turns out these have got waaaaay more low-end slam than the Senns and they sound great, no, make that fantastic - a nice "big" sound!!!!
I have been listening to light rock, and electronica that I always use for reference. If I had done a blind test and someone had told me the Denon's were the ones that cost five times the price would have believed it. At this point (only an hour of A/B ing) I am loving the Denon's much more. On both sets I am hearing stuff my speaker system never revealed to me in my music. Anyway, an hour isn't going to be enough time to to make a black and white decision, but at this point I would be surprised if I end up preferring the Senns. I know the issue is me loving my low-end a lot, but I can say for sure these Denon's are great all-rounders - great sound quality and great bass......and all for a couple of hundred bucks!!!
Bottom line is if you like your low-end the Senns are probably not for you. I am keeping an open-mind here since so many people really see the Senns as "the" headphone.
This is my first exploration with headphones but at this point for two hundred odd bucks I would HIGHLY recommend the Denons. Anybody else out there familiar with these?
Anyway, I will report back in about a week after a lot more listening.
Cheers Guys
Thanks a million guys ~

Scottmac

I have been doing a bit of digging around reviews etc today and while I have never owned headphones, very high end ones at least, I am reading that the Senn HD 800s are incredible for soundstaging - this is what everybody seems to be raving about and that is what got me interested. The RS1s - I got interested in these based on their reputation and popularity.

Hellofidelity

I own a variety of speakers - Totem The Ones, Paradigm, and a few other pairs but my favorites are the Maggies. I am pretty new to the whole hifi thing, got hooked last year and went on a spending binge. Parasound amps and preamps, Pass Labs, Naim and more amps but I have spent so much time out of the country since and haven't had all the time I need to experiment more, narrow it all down and then unload the stuff I am not so keen on and end up keeping the stuff I love. When I am home it is very hard for me to get out and test things in the store, so I rely on guys like you for pointers, buy off Audiogon and give myself some nice audition time at home with no pressure from sales people etc. Whatever way the headphones go I am sure I will be happy with what I end up with, soundstage is my biggest priority here.
Oh, I use CDs and the computer for my music as I am too lazy. As far as tube gear goes, I haven't dabbled with that yet but am very curious all the while trying to keep myself in check as I have made a pact with myself not to go crazy on the spending this year until I decide to sell off some of the gear I don't care too much for.
Having said I have no experience with tubes I would imagine headphones with that warm tuby sound sounds like they would float my boat. Now you have me thinking about tube gear dammit....... and I am on Audiogon - better get off here before I get myself into trouble.
Well Guys, I played Russian Roulette today with my credit card and shot for the Senn HD800s and based in part to your recommendation of the Headroom Ultra Desktop Hellofidelity I ordered that too. They will be here on Friday so I will report back over the weekend and let you all know what I think.

Thanks again for all your input.
Hi Guys - some wrong info on last post.....the Denons were actually $349 and not two hundred odds, still well worth it at two or three times the price though. A real shame that certain gear including headphones can lose all that low end, the stuff that gives me goose-pimples. I sometimes wonder why a lot of audiophiles don't seem to care too much for low-end, I know I can't listen to my speakers at all without a sub - it really makes a world of difference and not just for electronic music.
Musicnoise -
I got the Headroom Ultra Desktop and although I have never compared it with anything else it sounds fantastic. Re. comparing the two headphones there might be a tiny bit of extra resolution with the Senns but the Denons make the music sound powerful as opposed to the very "delicate" sound of the Senns. I guess the type of music you listen to might have a bearing on things but as I said, I like a sub on everything and these Denons sound like they have a subwoofer inside. Obviously many people like a delicate sound but to me it sounds like you are losing a huge chunk of the recording by not having a sub or phones with a great bass response. This has got me curious about audiophiles and bass and it might be interesting for me to start a thread on the subject to see what others like and don't like about subs.

Anyway this whole hobby is ultimately about trial and error and that is part of the fun for me.
Jax2 - Hi,

Didn't check out that link yet. If it is very technical I will probably be lost. Anyway, don't know how they would come up with numbers that would suggest different to what I am hearing - it really is a massive difference. Pity you didn't have a pair to compare as I am sure you would be shocked. Oh, one thing I just thought of that might affect the numbers - since the Denons are closed headphones could this account for more bass sensation? The Denons are far from top of the line but apparently have the best bass response, as mentioned in my last post, you would think there is a subwoofer in there. Not sure what your listening tastes are but if you like a bit of thump you might want to audition the Denons if you have the opportunity.
As I said before, this hobby is a lot about trial and error and I would be surprised if anybody half serious about the hobby got it right first time - all part of the fun if you ask me and yes, you are right, there are horses for courses or whatever that saying is.
Funny thing has happened today - I have been listening for about twelve hours on the phones (yes, I know) and I was hoping the Senns would grow on me but as each hour of listening passes I am moving further away from them. I love drums and the Denons do a killler job on picking them out. Even on vocal acoustic music the sound is much bigger on the Denons. I am sure a lot of you guys are much more critical listeners than me and many would never trade a grain of resolution for more bass but for me losing the bass is losing resolution and I would be happier trading in this direction.
Not giving up on the Senns yet though since a huge amount of serious audiophiles heap praise on them I am open to the possibility that I (as a novice) am missing something.
Thanks for all the input guys !