Headphones - Senn HD 800 or Grado RS1i.......

Anybody here had the chance to compare the two. I see that this site leans more towards Grado while the general outside population leans towards the 800s as far as "best" goes.
Anyway, I am looking for soundstage and good bass too and will probably opt for one of these two models if they have these qualities.
thomastrouble

Showing 4 responses by hellofidelity

I highly recommend you listen to both of them and judge for yourself. They are different in several ways, and the only way to tell what will work for you is to spend time listening.

I prefer the Grados. The Grados tend to be more "musical" and "engaging" to me. They have a character that is warm and lush, while being exciting and fun at the same time. The Senn HD800 seem dryer and flatter to me. Headphone amps can also make a difference. The Grados seem to work and sound better with mediocre outputs (computers and iPods), and sound wonderful with Grado's own RA-1 amplifier. The Senn 800s require a good amp to get the performance out of them.

What do those terms mean, I don't know how to explain it? Most audiophile terms confuse me, especially when I use them. :D

In the past I have used HeadRoom to try different sets and they have been very good about returns and trail periods. They can be reached at www.Headphone.com

Remember to have fun and keep listening.... ;)
Thomastrouble, the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop is an excellent amp.

I also recommend looking into the Grado GS1000 and PS1000 if you are considering the Senn HD800. Like Jax2 states, the Grado PS1000 cans are a good comparison for the 800s. It really comes down to personal preference.

What kind of speakers, headphones and systems do you currently like? Do you prefer a "solid state" or "tube" sound? What is the rest of your system and front end? Analog or digital....or both? The answers to these questions won't solve everything, but it might help us direct you in the right direction. Nothing compares to listening for yourself, but I'll do anything I can to help.
Thomastrouble, the Grados sound excellent with the Naim Headline. That's one of my favorite setups. I noticed that you have Totems and Naim gear, and that is also a great combo. Jax2 seems more experienced with headphones and I fully respect his opinions, so like I said in my first post, try your best to listen for yourself. There is no right or wrong to your choices.

Now I have the itch to get a pair of PS1000s.... ;)
Thomastrouble, I see that your adventure has started. Like I said in my first reply, you really must listen for yourself. That's what this is all about. What is "heaven" for someone, is "hell" for someone else.

After designing and building music systems professionally for over 20 years, I have come to the conclusion that the price has nothing to do with quality. My favorite things have been, and still are the simplest. Finding what works for you is the key.

The important thing is the music (you mentioned that you have been listening to "light rock and electronica")....what are you listening to exactly. Bands, artist, albums???? I'm a "progressive listener" and always open to new things.....

Keep listening and having fun.... ;)