My ears of tin are over 50

I read on Jim Smith's site that if you’re past 50, you can no longer hear well enough to really care about your sound quality.

That explains my ears of tin over the past few years, I guess. It sounds kind of sad really if this is true.
matchstikman
That's pretty cool. Hadn't considered how much a function of volume it is, with more volume, I can hear the tones up to 17.4khz (which would make my ears younger than I). As four the loudness/frequency test, came out almost flat, with significant drops in sensitivity starting below 250hz and above 8khz. How about that.
If you do an online test on a computer, make sure your speakers have a flat frequency response throughout the test range. Not sure many speakers built into computers have that....
The ironic thing is that by the time you are 50, you know what to listen for, but can you still hear over 50? My answer at over 50 is that I can hear better now than ever. The Green ears are no guarantee of a good interpretation. Really, how much occurs over 12K anyhow. According to the last test I took, I was still alive at 15K plus...not bad for the grey-audiophile ears. I have a 70+ chain smoking friend with enough hair in his ears to form a pillow, and he can still hear with a great deal of accuracy. I have changed tubes and or cables and he readily noticed the difference. He got no clues from me about the change. Let the old ears live on...........
This thread should act as an example of an honest misreading and misinterpretation of a quote/statement of an industry expert. The ensuing confusion and effrontery is also a good reminder to all that we can benefit from fact checking, ask reasonable questions to affirm statements, and be quick to correct ourselves, as the OP has.

I thought the assertion sounded "off". Having read Jim's book and found many insightful things in it I did not think he would be of a mind to make such a statement. In fact the website does indicate the idea that one's ears are no good after 50 to be spurious.

Quick to question, slow to condemn is good policy that I myself break occasionally and need to relearn. The irony here is that Jim questions the worthiness of info gleaned online. Here we see mistakes, objections, counter-information, etc. Just looking at the discussion one would not know what to make of it, who's right and who's wrong.

The nature of the Forum beast, and an authentic example of Jim's very point in his "ACK" article! :)