Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
10-12-13: Flemke
What effect does the damping trough have on the arm?

Tim - I have tried to answer your question the best way I can in parts.

Here is Bruce's testing results with and without the damping trough. THE CARTRIDGE USED WAS OF VERY LOW COMPLIANCE AND THE TONEARM WAS SET UP SO THAT A HIGH AMPLITUDE HIGH Q RESONANCE EXISTED.

The graph and text below taken from the manual.

Damping Trough Results

Surface irregularities on the vinyl of the LP record are the primary cause of rumble or
random low frequency noise, which causes the tonearm/cartridge spring system to start
oscillating. This oscillation occurs continuously during playback. It is a primary cause of wow and flutter and FM distortion in phono playback. Surface irregularities occur not as a part of the record cutting process, but result from the molding process used in making the record.

You can see visually small ripples on the surface of an LP as it is turning. These continuously excite the tonearm resonance.

TONEARM MEASUREMENTS

A LOW FREQUENCY SWEEP WAS PERFORMED TWICE ON A THE TONEARM, ONCE WITHOUT DAMPING AND ONE WITH THE DAMPING TROUGH. THE CARTRIDGE USED WAS OF VERY LOW COMPLIANCE AND THE TONEARM WAS SET UP SO THAT A HIGH AMPLITUDE HIGH Q RESONANCE EXISTED. THE RESULTS OF THE TEST SHOW A REDUCTION IN THE AMPLITUDE OF THE RESONANCE OF ABOUT 8 DB (HORIZONTAL). NOT SHOWN IS THE VERTICAL RESONANCE WHICH WAS 15 HZ WITH THIS CARTRIDGE AND WAS REDUCED ABOUT 2DB.

The ET-2 Damping Trough Owners Manual is available here for download for anyone from Bruce' site.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/Manuals/ET2damping.pdf

My personal experience has been.
The manual is very clear not to install the damping trough until you thoroughly understand how the ET2 works.
I error-ed and installed it very early on.
Then removed it for a number of years and re-installed earlier this year.
When experimenting with magnetic damping earlier I broke the audiophile rule - don't change more than one variable at a time. I tried it again later in isolation - inconclusive - meaning - magnetic damping doesn't do anything for me.

The trough was re-installed and is staying on my ET 2.5.
In three tries Manitunc didn't get one. I think they end up in a drawer somewhere and are forgotten?
So they are rare. If anyone has one guard it for later use. They can get messy and the tip from Bruce was use only 1cc of fluid.

As I am interested in a 2nd one for my ET 2.0 if RugyBoogie can convince Bruce to do a run with a group buy consider me in as well.

As far as sonically what I hear - I prefer Frogman or Slaw to give us impressions as they have been using the trough for a long time continuously. I will say the trough makes this linear tracking tonearm sound more "linear" in response to me. it does smooth out the bumps in the road especially on some of the nasty lps I own - those vinyl surface irregularities can sometimes imo lead to sibilance and harshness. The trough has made these lps very playable for me.

Cheers.
Something wasn't made clear in the my last post. Once installed the damping trough function is easily engaged and dis-engaged by just turning the paddle screw knob which raises and lowers it. The tip from Bruce was the paddle just touching the fluid not slugging its way through.
Cheers
Thanks you posting the reply. I will read over it a little later. I just mounted a Benz RubyZ think it sound fantastic.

Tim
"I broke the audiophile rule - don't change more than one variable at a time."

Guilty!