Output tube radiation exposure - thoughts?

Anyone out there give much thought to vacuum tube radiation exposure, especially the larger transmitting styles? I'm not sure what distances constitute a potential hazard and taking into account the effectiveness of standard tube cages if present. I recall it was considered a serious topic by some but not all of the ship's radio operators I sailed with in the past. Your impressions / experiences pls.
vonhakemarine
Those audio frequencies are probably a lot less worrisome than the computer you answered on, especially if it has a CRT.There is more stray radiation on the power lines in the wall above your head,or that lamp cord when you sleep.
"Honest1
I thnk it has more to od with the voltage the tubes operate at, rather than the frequencies they are amplifying. I don't think there is a problem unitl you start getting into much higher voltages than any audio amplifier uses, But at those voltages, tubes can emit Xrays. May be an issue with CRTs, not sure."

This is utter nonsense!! Ionizing radiation only can occur when sub-atomic particles are excited by a high energy, high frequency power source.
If your statement was true then electrostatic loudspeakers would have been ultra-deadly.
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

"Hifitime
Those audio frequencies are probably a lot less worrisome than the computer you answered on, especially if it has a CRT.There is more stray radiation on the power lines in the wall above your head,or that lamp cord when you sleep."

True in a sense. CRT units are capable of emitting X-rays due to the frequency they operate at. Power lines frequency corresponds to that of the wall socket you get in your house - either 50 or 60 Hz - not dangerous.
The wee bit of OZONE discharge could be harmful but a gentle breeze around the power lines quickly dissipates it.

Humans get more daily radiation exposure from cosmic rays and RADON than anything else.
Google CRT radiation. Do you trust the people that poison their own for greed in the factories that made the CRT monitors.If they don't block the radiation properly on those CRT's,who is getting it?Do you trust their cheap junk? NOT ME.They are supposed to be meeting FDA guidelines,but do they?Even the plastic case may contain lead.Also google radio waves,and radiation.Its not made in the USA anymore.

Honest1: I thnk it has more to do with the voltage the tubes operate at, rather than the frequencies they are amplifying. I don't think there is a problem until you start getting into much higher voltages than any audio amplifier uses, But at those voltages, tubes can emit Xrays. May be an issue with CRTs, not sure.

Lonestarsouth: This is utter nonsense!! Ionizing radiation only can occur when sub-atomic particles are excited by a high energy, high frequency power source. If your statement was true then electrostatic loudspeakers would have been ultra-deadly.

Actually, I believe that Honest1's statement about x-rays potentially being generated by high voltage tubes (much higher than any audio tube would use) is correct. As I understand it, an x-ray tube functions by bombarding the material in its plate with electrons that are emitted by a heated cathode, and then accelerated to high energy levels by means of a very high dc voltage applied to the plate. The voltage is typically in the range of 30,000 volts or more.

The analogy to electrostatic speakers is not applicable. While several thousand volts may be present between the elements of an esl, there is no electron emitter, no vacuum, and no plate being bombarded.

X-ray emission was definitely an issue with early tv sets, both from their crt's and from the tubes in their high voltage power supplies. Modern tv's and crt monitors use solid state power supplies, and presumably/supposedly limit x-ray emission from crt's via lead shielding which is impregnated into the glass.

See this wikipedia article for further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube

Regards,
-- Al
Well A1marg... what amplifies operate at 30 kVa? Not even the huge WAVAC amps run near that.

If the above were true then we all would have been dead a long time! Tubes are around quite a while - long enough to have wiped out the entire earths population.

We get more radio radiation from the thousands of satellites orbiting the earth - not to mention cell phones!

Enjoy your tube equipment gentlemen and ladies!