Anyone else in my shoes? Ears going.........

I just turned 63 and I think I'm going to have to settle for the gear I have with no more improvements. I don't think I can hear the differance any more.

I think I have a pretty good HT setup and a very nice analog rig (for what I can afford), but I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns as far as my aging ears go.

On the plus side, I really enjoy what I have, and my headphone amp and Sennheiser 650's really maximize what's left when I choose the headphoen option.
joe_in_seattle
I recently saw something about tinnitus on pbs, which said there is some evidence that tinnitus is activated by the brain when long term exposure to a noisy environment is replaced by a quiet one. As a previous post said, the brain responds by producing ringing. The researcher in the program seemed to suggest that when the ringing starts it may be dimished by creating or returning to some noise, such as turning on the tv or radio or engaging in conversation. If the theory is correct, then going to a quiet place such as a lake in the wilderness could activate tinnitus.

I notice my tinnitus is most noticeable in the morning and late at night. It does seem to disappear when I'm active. Perhaps I'll take my ipod with me to the lake.
My tinnitus is most evident when it is quietest. At my desk in my office it is as loud as my PC fans or the sound of air blowing from the central air conditioner. At night it can be quite raucous. It is completely unnoticeable when I am listening to my stereo, a good movie on my home theater system or am out and active in public. I can understand it being a response to noisy environments. Tinnitus is very similar to the ringing I experienced as a teenager after attending a rock concert or after some time at a private outdoor gun range without ear protection. I take much better care of my ears than I used to… I want them to last, now more than ever.
I have always had the tiniest ringing in the ears when things are extremely quiet
(the woods, the lake on a perfectly still winter morning) - even as a child - to
me this IS the sound of complete silence. It does not change the fact that I can
still hear better than most adults although my nine year old seems to be able to
hear what I do. When I say do you hear that (a quiet sound) - the wife usually
says What? and confirms she can't hear it even after trying. but the daughter
chimes in and says, "Really Mummy, can't you hear it too?"

I guess it is a matter of degree but I suspect we all have Tinnitus to a
degree....my only point is that it does not affect hearing accuity.
There are clinics with audiologists who specialize in tinnitus treatment. My wife has suffered with tinnitus for over a year. She uses an ipod-like device that trains the brain to ignore that sound. She has found significant relief.
Post removed