Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi Guys – I tried my highest compliant cartridge tonight on the SP10MKII w/ET2.0 HP Manifold with a triple leaf I-Beam.

A Sonus Blue Gold Cartridge.

Frequency Response - 20Hz - 45kHz
Tracking Force - 1.0-1.5g
Mass - 5.5g
Stylus Tip - special modified line contact
Dynamic Compliance 50x10-6cm/Dyne

This was the first cartridge I bought off the MM thread. A nice enough cartridge but not in the same league as the Empire 4000 Diii. A very smooth presentation overall but not near as dynamic. I call it the Swedish Skidoo.

The triple leaf I beam with lower VTA transformed it into a very dynamic performer. I do not remember it being this lively / open.

Cheers.
Hi TheKong.

I was wondering if you made any progress with your direct couple ET 2.5 counterweight project ?

01-09-12: Thekong
Hi everyone, very interesting topic! I have obtained a used ET2 with Bruce’s upgrade 2.5 bearing, but have yet to set it up.

I am very interested in the discussion on the I-beam compliance. As far as I can tell, the arm on the Walker Proscenium turntable (which is of similar design to the ET2) has a direct couple counterweight. Since the Walker is being regarded as one of the best, I was thinking of modifying the ET2 in such manner.
I wonder what are the pros and cons to the 2 different approaches.

I have had on hand one, two ,and three leaf I beams now for a few months. I am having a lot of fun interchanging them and listening to the changes that occur with same and different cartridges. The flexibility for tuning in each of our rooms/gear that this provides is a very nice option. Thx to Frogman for turning me on to it. I would not want to give up this feature now for myself – but I am curious about making different compliant versions of a more rigid I beam - with the adjustable counterweight that just bolts on/off the spindle? This reminded me of your post back in Jan.

I keep coming back to this one. Does anyone know who the owner is ?

ET 3.0 ?

Cheers Chris
Hello fellow ET2 enthusiasts. Been a while and I hope everyone is well. Just wanted to share some very preliminary impressions of a cartridge that I have had sitting, new in the box for a few months. I know some of you follow and/or contribute to Raul's MM mega-thread. Several months ago, there was some buzz around a new-found source for the NOS Acutex 420STR. Well, I bit and bought one from the overseas vendor.

After only a few hours of play I can tell you that this is a great cartridge for the ET2. I know some other recent purchasers, while acknowledging that it is very good, were somewhat lukewarm about it overall. Perhaps
synergy plays a major role here, but I can tell you that it is a fantastically dynamic and alive sounding cartridge, with the best bass that I have yet heard from my ET. When I say best I don't mean just quantity. The bass is very powerful, and very tuneful. One of the few criticisms I have had of the ET is bass with a slight softness and lack of definition compared to a good pivoting arm. The bass now sounds as part of the same musical fabric as the rest of the frequency range. It is not a "beautiful" sounding cartridge. It is very direct sounding, with outstanding dynamic gradations,
and fine sound staging. Just wanted to share in case you come across one.

More to follow....