big rig vs. the second system

I've been listening to a number of recordings recently on my primary system and then immediately afterwards on the secondary one, with some pretty consistent results.

The biggest difference that I notice is not in ability in the treble, mid-range or bass, not in timbral accuracy, not in imaging, not in soundstage, not in rhythm and timing, etc., but rather in a sonic characteristic that I'm not sure quite how to name. Presence--immediacy--shimmer, are the three words that I can think of for the moment that come closest. It's that you-are-in-the-same-room versus the you-are-in-the-next-room sensation. And although it's one of the hoariest audio-reviewing cliches out there, you could describe it as as the difference between a non-transparent acoustic veil being lowered and raised. Perhaps there's a solid reason why this is such a cliche.

I wonder if this is just my experience, or whether others find that this is the primary difference, too.
128x128twoleftears
Without more information on what you are comparing - it is impossible to comment further.
You might not have noticed without the A/B comparison, but now that you have, you've learned how to recognize it without the comparison. These kind of broad, general characteristics can be remembered fairly easily, even though finer specifics are poorly recalled.

Different rooms certainly have an effect. Voices sound different in different rooms, sound different on the phone or outside, but once you've learned the sound of someone's voice, you can be recognize anywhere. Speakers may sound better or worse in this room or that, but each speaker will still have its characteristic sound anywhere.
I guess the scientific answer would be to temporalily install the main system where the secondary one is, and listen and compare. But as there are stairs involved, and some very heavy equipment, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.