How can we settle for digital?

My friend, a recording engineer, once made a remark when I told him I had spent $3000 on a CD player. He said "How far can you polish a turd?" Those I know in the music business all agree that digital can only go so far. Vinyl is certainly making a comeback, but the advent of new digital formats seems to perpetuate new hope on the part of audiophiles. Do you buy it? Or are you sticking with your records? Or will you stand up for your $3000+ CDP? Is it just polishing a turd?
chashmal
I have not heard the EMM Labs CDSA SE, and I would love to. The only CDP that I have heard that I thought came anywhere close to my TT was the Lector cdp7 mkII. I thought about getting one, as it was certainly better than my Meridian 507, but I'd rather spend the 5 grand on a new phono stage! In the end, I would have better sound, even though all the music I have on CD only would suffer. So what. Being an audiophile is never having to say I made a compromise.

So I am getting an Art Audio Vinyl Reference instead of the Lector, and I will bite the bullet on the CD issue, but in the end what I will get will blow away any CDP, IMO. (of course I want both, but I do not have 10 grand to spend)
QUESTION FOR AUDIOFEIL: which new EMM or Esoteric model do you like for 6 grand or under? Despite our differences, you really do come out on the right side of most debates (even though you are a dealer) :)
I have Accuphase amplification and an Arcam CD192 cd player and a vinyl rig too (project deck and an Benz silver cart.) they both sound great, The Arcam is just as good as the record player, if not better.
CD already has come of age, and I'm glad.
If your cd player does not sound great,buy an Arcam!
AFile - I'm glad you've enjoyed listening to the same records every week for 50 years. Most of us like a bit more variety than that, but I suppose if I didn't listen to anything made after 1958, I wouldn't be too interested in digital either.
PS- Mr. Feil - Don't take my previous post too seriously. Just verbal sparring in good fun. Regarding my post questioning the 3000 plays, it was meant to be a challenge to your assertion, but not an attack on your character. To me, 3000 plays seems unusual (does it to you?), so that's why I questioned it. I never said it was impossible, just offered some real possibilities to show the magnitude of plays required to hit 3000. Even at 1.2 plays / week for 50 years (your numbers), that's a lot of listening to the same record. But if you enjoy it, that's cool. Peace.