Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Slaw, apologies. In did not mean to come across as heavy handed. My comment was simply a statement of what I heard IN MY SYSTEM; not a suggestion that you should do the same.

Regards.
Hi Frogman –The drop of superglue on the Empire shaft worked like magic. The cartridge has been used alot. The last couple weeks I had noticed on really eccentric records the odd skip with the Empire. I attributed some of it to learning curve with the string drive TT. But I had a better look - the actual shaft had some play. Its always been flawless in tracking. I put one drop of superglue and the shaft where it butts up against the body. Let it set and no problems now with those records. I paid $350 for the whole thing and the stylus’ are $250 I think? so I considered it disposable as I have a second empire ?

Does anyone know if its possible separate superglue from two metal surfaces? Just curious.

Cheers
ET2 MAGNET MOD - Who has tried Dover’s Magnet mod? I found a magnet I tried it. I’d like to hear someone else’s impressions first.
Its a fairly long description in the manual but basically involves putting the second arm / cartridge on top of the first while playing a track and "listening" to it to hear resonances in the first arm.

It also includes a discussion of how materials change their physical properties at resonance and become much less rigid or stiff.
Apbiii - Martin Colloms did some testing of energy transmission in the ET2 years ago. He measured the resonances in the arm tube and then in the arm after the air bearing. The conclusions were that the unwanted energy transmitted went straight through the air bearing and out the other end relatively unimpeded.
This is the old chestnut - do you kill unwanted energy by overdampening, or by having a drain path to ground ( the plinth ).
The main issue with overdampening is that soft materials eg rubber, will store energy and then release it "out of time" with the music, thus smearing the sound.
People will have their own preferences, do you want to hear everything, quick, coherent, lively if a little coloured, or do you like a nice smooth inoffensive sound if lacking a little speed, detail and coherence.