poor source material

Hello friends,

Before I begin, let me make a quick disclaimer. I am VERY new to this hobby and just started putting together a budget system the other day, so if this sounds like a stupid question please go easy on me!

Anyways, I currently have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140s, Rotel CD player and a receiver rated at 100x2. I quickly discovered that I am going to have to invest in a good amp but, I also noticed that a lot of albums (that I used to think sounded ok) sounds terrible on my new system. Of course, room acoustics and gear are partly to blame but, am I wrong in putting the blame largely on the album itself?

Is there anything that can be done to make these poorly recorded albums sound 'better'? Like I mentioned, I will be investing in a nice affordable amp, like a Halo A21 but, I'm not sure how much difference it is going to make. How about adding an equalizer?

I've tinkered with the tone controls and it is a quick fix but, a few albums are still unbearable.

I have also toyed with the idea of setting up a separate budget system on the side, strictly for use with lower quality recordings. I'm thinking of using very affordable gear with 'forgiving' speakers. Is this a stupid idea? Or do I just have to accept the fact that some albums simply will never sound good no matter what you do to them?

Any advice, thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all so much!!!
ucsb21
Get rid of the receiver and get a decent intergrated Amp.

A receiver is NEVER good enought for 2 channel listening IME.
Ucsb21, you stated in part "I also noticed that a lot of albums (that I used to think sounded ok) sounds terrible on my new system" and "I've tinkered with the tone controls and it is a quick fix but, a few albums are still unbearable."

You will get more helpful responses if you are more descriptive and precise (rather than 'terrible' and 'unbearable') as to what it is that you are finding problematic about the source material, and, perhaps provide an example or two of the problematic source material.
The better your equipment, the more you are going to notice differences between recordings, both good and bad. There's nothing we can do about improving the recording, it *is* the source. I'm finding myself increasingly more concerned about buying better recordings than better gear.

If you're system is biased with coloration, it will tend to make everything sound more uniform. Some find this more pleasant to listen to because it helps hide the imperfections of recordings. It's a double edged sword, a choice between either pretty and artificial, or real and wrinkles.
If you are referring to hyper compressed modern CD's then you are not alone with this problem. A lot of music is mastered today for car systems and boom boxes. This can help but it won't cure a hypercompressed CD - it may only take the edge off it slightly.

If you only like Metallica, Green Day, Arctic Monkeys, Fratellis and such fare then unfortunately you are in trouble - you may want to search for Vinyl - usually these are not mastered so badly but you are looking at significant effort and cost to try to get better source recordings.
You may be new, but it didn't take you long to discover one of the biggest banes of our hobby. Poor recordings, often times, just might be the weakest link in our systems. A good equalizer might help sometimes, not help other times, and a poor equalizer might make things worse most of the time. The balancing of a systems resolution to deal with the variable quality of recordings often times comes down to very personal choices.