Yamaha PF-1000 vs Systemdek IIX ?

I am thinking of purchasing a Yamaha PF-1000 turntable to replace my Systemdek IIX. Any thoughts?

My system is:
Systemdek IIX with DL103
Jolida Envoy preamp with phono section
Canary Audio CA-301MkII tube amp
Synergistic Research Designer Ref cables
Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (1980's model)
Also:
Marantz SA-1 cd
Nakamichi Dragon cassette
Yamaha CDR-HD1500 music server
vernonwtx

Showing 8 responses by vernonwtx

Yamaha PF-1000 is dead quite when my Canary Amp is off, which is next to it... guess I found the problem.
I bought the PF-1000 on eBay for $560. It is beautiful!

While I know audio is about the sound, but I have never liked the way the Systemdek looked in my system, and the PF-1000 will look great with my amp / preamp metal and my AR-9's wood.

Any suggestions on cable change out or cartridges?
The PF-1000 and the IIX are different creatures: tonearms, cables, cartridges... hard to compare.

I have a DL103 on the Systemdek IIX with Ortofon copper cables (headshell and 5-pin RCA). The headshell cables really made the IIX quite (got ride of the hum).

I got a Accuphase AC2 cartridge on the PF-1000. Table has some hum. I am waiting to change out the power cord and RCA's (to Synergistic Research Tricon).

I don't care for the DL103 much... as the AC-2 sounds / stages right to me, and puts the DL103 to shame. I have been to lazy to swap the cartridges between tables. I got them tuned in and don't want to move them around. But I would say I would probably love the sound of the AC-2 on the IIX and not tell much difference in an A/B test... just the IIX does not have the auto-lifts and looks of the PF-1000... looks like I am going to spend money on the PF-1000.
I am still experimenting with the PF-1000. But wanted to comment that the PF-1000 suspension is far superior to the Systemdek. The Systemdek will move / bounce as I walk across the room towards it. Not only does the PF-1000 not bounce, but does not move. I can tap the furniture that the PF-1000 is on pretty hard, and there is no movement or sound pickup from the rap. Nice !
Finished testing with cables and cartridges on the Systemdek. (The Systemdek was easier to use as a "compare" platform... with goal of deciding which components to upgrade PF-1000 with.) I recorded these to my Yamaha CDR-HD1500 harddrive, allowing quick, effortless A/B comparisons.

The cartridges on the Systemdek:
I tried the Monster Cable Alpha 2 (sounded the same as the Accuphase AC-2, before I broke the AC-2 (AHHHH !!!!!) and the DL103 on the Systemdek. I would say they are different, rather than one better. The DL103 has nice evenly spread soundstage, while the Alpha 2 reversed some instruments (left / right) and was not as evenly spread (AC-2 the same) but still a nice soundstage (hard to describe better); instrument placement was so definitely different, you would have thought you were listening to two different recordings. The Alpha 2 was more natural (and maybe the DL103 more lively). Of course, each could be "tuned" by changing the cable...

The cables on the Systemdek:
- Ortofon 6NX-TSW1010 6N Copper Cable 5 pin, warm, lush, great piano, but a little dark on voice
- Synergistic Research Tricon on an 1877 Spirit-STBX Interface Box DIN/RCA, very natural... quietest
- misc other RCA interface cables with the 1877, notable was the van den Hul M.C. Integration Hybrid, which was a little sharper than the Tricon, but a little noiser, still very nice. I may actually use it on lesser sounding LP's than the Tricon.
* the standard PF-1000 cable was as natural as the Tricon, sharper, but noiser.

So in the end:
- I left the PF-1000 unchanged, with the Alpha 2. The PF-1000 is a better turntable (suspension, isolation, arm, auto-spot), and has synergy with its stock cable. NOTE: I have added a 700g record clap and a 300g record ring and the PF-1000 can adjust and spin these just fine... minor improvements in sound with each.
- I left the DL103 Tricon setup on the Systemdek for classical, with maybe swapping with the vdH. Still a nice setup.
The Denon PF-800 combo should sound satisfying. The simple suggestion:
- heavy center clamp / weight (300-700g) ($36 up, cost effective)

Others, costly:
- Herbie's Audio Lab's Way Excellent II ($60 up, will increase height)
- upgrade to a Denon DL103R ($300 up...)
- record ring ($350 up... not cost effective, also requires you to remove tonearm post that snaps into stand to hold arm stationary when not in use)
- replace tonearm cable. The PF-1000 has an upgraded cable compared to the PF-800. I would put an 1877 interface box ($150 plus installation) and try cables, but this will add hundreds to total costs.

So, buy a clamp and enjoy. With the hundreds saved, buy LPs.
The best info I have is from
http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/PF1000/PF1000.html#
which says it is a medium mass tonearm with 10mg friction (verse say 20mg for Systemdek Profile arm).

I am not sure how you would add mass. I had a Discwasher DiscTracker on the AC-2, adding +0.6g VTF and forcing counterweight halfway off to balance, but not much difference in sound.

The headshells are hard to find. One went on eBay for $5.00 not long ago (cannot believe I missed that). I finally spent 79 Euro to get one:
http://www.audioscope.net/yamaha-headshell-12-inch-p-1352.html?language=en
has grounded shield that I have not seen in brochures or manuals (which are available at Vinyl Engine). If you find a better source, please let me know.
Headshells: Most Yamaha P-* turntable headshells would fit (P-200, P-300, P-700). You can buy a used turntable plus ship for $40-60 for the headshell.