XLR cables for high-end multichannel system

My system comprises 5.1 Focal Electra 1028 Be II based speaker system with Sim audio Moon MC-8 multichannel amp and Onkyo 5509 pre (may upgrade this) and soon to be added Audio Research DSPre for 2-channel. I'm looking for advice on suitable XLR cables which are fairly neutral. I don't really want to go into the stratosphere in terms of price (as I need 5 to 7 of these!) but, so far, contenders are:

- Audioquest Sky or Niagara
- Kimber 1126
- Acoustic Zen Absolute

I've also read good things about Siltech, Silent Source and Shunyata research.

Advice/thoughts on the above or other possibilities gratefully received!
djruss27

Showing 1 response by zephyr24069

Djruss: I've owned alot of Audioquest (Sky, Cheetah, Niagara, Raven, YIQ-5, Volcano, Mont Blanc, Gibaraltar, etc, etc...). Sky, Niagara and Volcano were my all time favorites. After multiple years using all for both home theater and 2-channel listening while I would say they are neutral in that they don't color the sound, I would mention that they are very revealing and depending upon your system, particularly with Sky, Cheetah and Niagra they may come off as a bit bright and potentially lacking in the deepest base. Given the right components though and making sure your system is balanced throughout, you would be extremely happy picking up Sky or Niagara. If you are looking for added and very large amounts of musicalism realism, energy, tonal accuracy, etc...you should also be looking at Kubala, Elrod, Purist and other top contenders. Listen first though to ensure you have the right match fro your system.