Would you pay to audition speakers

A dealer told me that he will let people audition 1 pair of speakers for free. If you want to hear multiply speakers
he charges 500.00. If you buy a pair of speakers he will credit you back the 500.00. He says he does this so people don't waste his time. He says If someone is serious about purchasing speakers they won't have a problem with the 500.00 deposit. I'm Interested in knowing how the Audiogon community feels about this.
taters

Showing 3 responses by polk432

Yes, some people do use dealers to demo, then buy used cheaper. BIG DEAL. I'll gladly pay MORE to someone else than the dealer is charging, before I give 5.00 away, let alone 500.00 The 500.00 is no guarantee you'll like the speakers. This is not nor ever will be a good practice. Does a dealer ever guarantee speakers? New if something goes wrong? No, you only get a warantee.
Hell no! Nobody locks me into anything! Cars, coins, stereos, hookers or anything else. Money IS the most important thing... period... There will always be something else (maybe better) for sale. Maybe the items for audition aren't as good as they are bragged up to be, and the seller is using the deposit for an excuse, to take the place of wasted time. I'll waste my time or anyone elses, before I waste my money. Time may be money to some, but SAVED money is more valuable than time that hasn't happened yet. Good luck to all!
Giggsy is right. If I had a nickel for every beer I ever drank, I'd go out and buy beer with it.