would b&w 802n be an upgrade to my b&w 804S?

I have a chance to get a pair of 802n for about 4K.

I currently have 804S for my fronts with a htm3S center. i use this for mostly hometheater, but now i am doing some sacd.

what ya think?
would it be worth it to spend the money?
baranowski

Showing 6 responses by lloydelee21

Go for it. If you already like the B&W sound, the 802 is a far more substantial speaker than even the already very good 804. What would you do with 804?
Jimmy has good points. Your room seems plenty big...a big fan of dynamic range and effortlessness which i think would be an advantage of the 802 v 804...Jimmy's final point about amplification is a good one. I do not know the anthem p5. i would run the paradigm in parallel if you can.
Hi Baranowski,

CAnnot help as much there...been way too long to make definitive statements about 802D vs 802N. Just make sure you've got enough power...for 4K, i would be inclined to go for the N and either save the 4K or put it towards the amp or elsewhere. Whatever power you put towards the 802N, it probably can use it.
Bill - I would definitely try it...can you audition at home, or must you buy first? Definitely would be tempted to do it. And the larger speaker is not so much (imho) about lower or bigger bass...its about the effortlessness and soundstage size. When i went to the big Wilsons, it was truly an eye-opener (well, an ear-opener, actually ;)). Good luck.
I concur with Rhljazz (fwiw). i have heard both 804 and 802, and the 802 to me is closer to the really big B&Ws than to the 804. and i really like the 804. The 802 has a depth and weight to its music, a soundstage size that to me, marks beginning of the big boy B&w (800, 801, 802)...i have not heard the Nautilus. by contrast the 804 feels like the fuller sized big brother to the smaller B&Ws and the lower ranges. one man's opinion.
Bill, i think if you are crossing over, you probably do lose a little of what the 802 offers over the 804...and if you are relatively less critical about home theater than 2-channel music (i am)...then save your money. Which is always a good thing...if only to allow to splurge on something else 2-channel! hah! ;)