Worth rebuilding Linn troika or fix shelter 501II?

Yesterday I managed to break the cantilever of a lightly used shelter 501 II which I bought about 6 years ago new. I used it with an early 80's vintage linn Sondek lp12 with Ittok LVII tone arm. Since I had an old troika I decided to mount it and my ayre phono pre had no trouble with the cartridge's low output. The troika needs work; the shelter needs repair. Which would you do? I think the troika is a better cartridge to my ears but it's more than 30 years old. Can you recommend someone to rebuild/retip the troika? I plan to contact sound smith to see if they would repair the shelter.
jc4659

Showing 1 response by theo

I owned a Troika for a few years and it was a perfect companion to my LP12. If it were me I would look into getting the Troika rebuilt. Check with your local Linn dealer to see who Linn recommends for gas process. Or if you don't have a Linn dealer close by, contact Rick at audioalternative.com, he is an LP12 expert and can probably either arrange or direct you to the best source for repair. When I sold my Troika I moved over to the Lyra Kleos and eventually sold my LP12, as the evolution of audio gear sometimes dictates.