WOOD SURROUND for Audio Technica AT120; Technics 1200 and Technics 1210

Change the Look of these models with a Wood Surround

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193854720559

elliottbnewcombjr

The wood surrounds are about the same cost as a new AT120. Does that make any sense for owners of an AT120?

My friend has a Technics SL-1210 GR. I just sent him that link, I think he will like that !

Thanks for posting!

lewm

I recall a long discussion about a new TT, and while many advanced models of Technics were recommended, over and over, it was the appearance that the OP, and I would not spend real money on.

If you really don't like the look of the AT120, but agree, it is quite a good 'starter' TT, a wood surround makes a big difference. Keep it, or sell it, with the wood surround should be easier to sell, or, like me, find someone to give it to.

yogiboy

I am glad it just popped up, those TTs look much better within wood, IMO.

this Technics 1210MK2 costs $2,600. I would not buy it, or, now that I know, add the wood, now a viable choice.

The turntable seems to sit in the plinth. I wonder it it affects the sound. They look great. 

noromance

there are details to get answers about.

the photo from etzy, you can see the TT’s feet, and of course the feet would be involved in leveling.

etzy also has an option to choose hinge cutouts for the dust cover.

the eBay photo I posted does not show bottom details, but shows the dust cover on. look at the other photos, it has cross braces with holes for the TT feet to go thru, and the wood frame floats above the surface like etzy's does. back cut for dust cover hinges, a rear center hole in the rear brace for wires?

I would write the eBay maker with questions.

there are more out there, gotta look closely, ask questions.

this one offers other woods, i.e. cherry; maple; oak; walnut (presumably walnut wood, not walnut stain on oak. note beveled top edge, and TT sits up above the wood some

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1453164923/technics-turntable-plinth-for-sl1200?external=1&rec_type=ad&ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-3&frs=1&plkey=e6e529fac8d14b4432eff763c3816b1a547b33c1%3A1453164923

a lot of wood choices here

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PLINTHSFORTURNTABLES?ref=l2-about-shopname

some/all? have a bottom panel, and adjustable spikes are shown below the wood 'box'.

the point is, IF you want the TT, but prefer a wood surround, they are out there.

"Technics 1210MK2 costs $2,600"

No way! Where did you get that information from?

Here are the prices for all Technics tables!

Yogiboy, That's a really useful summary for anyone in the market.  Kudos to you for posting.  My opinion is that Technics have willfully created a marketing nightmare.  There are significant differences among those many versions of the SL1200/1210, yet they all look pretty much the same. Furthermore, the naming system is confusing and ever changing with the continuing introduction of new models.  Seems to me they undercut the value of spending more for the better versions, especially the G series.  But they're very successful, so what do I know?

amazon, Technics 1210MKII, $2,600.

I do not see that model in yogiboy’s list

that’s because, like lewm said, the naming of models is impossible for the normal rocket scientist to figure out.

In any case, I would want a wood surround for any of them.

Actually, I built this wooden ship, all in for $5,565.

for me, beats the heck out of the Technics look

@elliottbnewcombjr

That amazon listing is insane. If you look on eBay those tables can be had for less than $400.00. That one is an older MK 2. The newer SL-1200 is up to the MK 7. BTW, the 10 at the end of the model number means black!

This is the new one!

Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200MK7 (technics.com)

yogiboy,

you asked me where I got it, there it is. search for technics 1210mk2, NEW. ONLY ONE comes up, Amazon $2600.

lewm mentioned, and how the heck would I or a novice know which is which? you do, because you care to know, I look at the prices, stacked up with the model #s, makes no sense to me. your link:

in any case, the conversation is about wood surrounds taking the industrial look into the wood category.