Why Kinergetics SW-200 clipping?

I'm a newbie and have a simple question about clipping.

I have a Kinergetics SW-200 sub (four 10" speakers, 200W kinergetics amp). They seem to clip really easily. These have always been rated as a high-end sub, but they don't do it for me. I want to "feel" the bass in my home theatre setup.

I'm in a fairly small room (15 x 15) which I know limits the level of bass producability. Does the small room also mean that the subs clip easier? Or am I pushing them too hard trying to get bass out of them that I can't get in such a small room?!

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

John
robotman

Showing 1 response by 1audiofile

One issue you might have is that the room is 15 by 15 feet. This square room will generate a lot of standing waves. I would also check to insure that the woofers are moving in and out correctly. i.e. not out of phase. It can happen easily. Insure the subs drivers are all phased properly. Sometimes you have one coming out and the other going in which will cancel the bass. If you move towards one of the subs does the bass seem to get stronger? This would be a symptom of out of phase subs. Good luck. I also have exactly the same Kinergetics sub amp and have no trouble with clipping at all even in very large rooms with multiple drivers on each channel.