Why does it take so many hours to brea in arc preamps and amps?

I recently purchased a like new ARC 5 SE pre amp.  The unit had less than 200 hours on it.  Everything I have read states that ARC preamps take up to 600 hours to fully break in.  Why is this so and what improvements can I expect to hear as the unit accrues hours?
ewah
"You and geoffkait need to get together and write a book on hifi voodoo."

Better Geoff than a pompous flat-earther like yourself.

Get over yourself, everyone else already has.

Dave

Georgelowbrow wrote,

"You and geoffkait need to get together and write a book on hifi voodoo."

All you need to know is that a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from voodoo.
" Just Google "forming electrolytic capacitors" and be enlightened just a little.

Cheers George "

Once again, you have it completely backwards.

" But in electronics just a few of hours see new electrolytic caps that have sat on the shelf too long and such being "formed" (if you know what that means) to their best, if not they are leaky or too old and need to be replaced. "

Of course the caps need to be broken in, but your statement implies caps are the only things that need to be break in. Also, I find it odd that you only respond to some comments, and not others.

" I trust some things Charlie Hansen say's, but sorry not this one Charlie. If this is so with this Ayre CDP, then it (break-in) needs to be done at the factory, after which all adjustments re-done before it's sent the customer. "

" What adjustments are you specifically referring to? I have that CD player. There are no adjustments to be made after break in. Not only on that CD player, but every CD player ever made. A straight answer this time. No BS. "

Why can't you give me an answer on that? Your statement is very clear and direct. You should have no problem backing it up.

" To all those that say the manufacture has specified a certain "break-in" period, please link the rest of us to those manufacturers links, instead of it being just personal opinion."

If you refuse to answer some of the questions based on your comments, I think its safe to say its your personal opinion. I think its only fair that you hold yourself to the same standard you expect from others.

Nelson Pass
We burn products in for two reasons -

1. We want to see if anything fails.

2. We want to readjust the amplifier against any drift in performance
that comes with a burn-in.
And you can bet your life that’s not done after 600hrs!!!

Nelson Pass on "Burn In"
It's pretty clear that any such long term behavior is going to be
obscured by the burn-in of the listener. People come to new
audio components carrying the experience of the previous
equipment, and may experience some dissonance with the new
sonic character, even if they like it overall. Over time they often
get used to it and grow to like it.
There are plenty of cases where they initially like it, but the sound
becomes irritating over time. That is called burn-out.

Cheers George
Bob Crump (TG Audio/CTC Builders) was contracted by John Curl to design/voice the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks - based on the HCA-3500 amp chassis.

Break-in time with the JC-1s is horrible as it takes right at 30 days for the thinness to go away and almost 60 days for units to open up.

Curl thinks he has tracked down the severe break-in problem on the JC-1s to the high current Nichicon caps.

Funny, but some of the cheapest parts break in easier than the fancy spreads.......
This thread includes many of Bob’s comments. It’s an interesting read. No doubt, Bob would have a few choice words to add to this discussion. He wasn’t shy.