Why do so many members seem afraid of making an audio decision?

I mean it's a hobby sort of.  It should be fun.  If you cannot hear the difference between two components, cables, or tweaks, then you can't.  It's ok not to.  Honestly, I sometimes think that some mass hysteria hits the audio community over a new product that later doesn't pan out or some (big)scandal, and people get bent out of shape over it. 

Here in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs I'm fortunate to have a pretty good slice of audio dealers plus having very different opinions on the subject.  That I think is great.  I may not agree with some dealers' tastes or recommendations but that's also ok.  After doing this for a while, you learn from your mistakes and also get a handle on what you, yourself like without having to have someone else always telling you.  What I have learned over decades;  if I like something, I like something, and if I don't like it or hear it, or think it's an improvement, well I pretty much trust my own decision making.  I come to Audiogon hopefully to learn from the more experienced enthusiasts about recent developments and about my own stuff. 

128x128vitussl101

@danager

I understand where you are coming from. But remember that is low fi to mid-fi.

Companies like Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Cardas… virtually all high end companies were not started as primarily money making enterprises… quite on the contrary, they were started by engineers absolutely passionate about sound reproduction. They hoped to make a living some day. Most nearly did not survive. I recommend reading about the history of ARC. The founder and his wife working from their house nearly lost everything when a vendor provided capacitors that exploded… he informed every single owner and fixed them (paying for shipping… everything) out of his own pocket. Mealy bankruping them… it was more important that his reputation remained untarnished and his customers trusted him than making money.

I worked with very closely the founder of a high tech company, Tom Brown… from Burr-Brown corporation for nearly 20 years. Literally working from his garage in the ‘50s created one of the most respected companies manufacturing Digital to Analog converters for the high end audio industry. A more humble and genial human you will never meet. The company always struggled with profitability… because he cared first about the products and his customers and employees.

Your stories are certainly true, but generally confined of low to mid-level stuff. I am sure a bunch of folks have tried to enter the cable market because low material cost to price. But, most get weeded out because in the long run companies like Transparent, Cardas, Audio Quest put so much money into Research and development they provide real value and more sophisticated sound.

As others have said here, we are hesitant because of the money involved and the cost of mistakes.  This is supposed to be enjoyable, not a worry.  You're supposed to love what you're doing, not agonize over the reality that perfection is unattainable.

What I suggest is that you go DIY as much as you can.   You'll learn a lot more, and being "hands on" gives a vastly deeper sense of involvement.   Instead of taking opinions of others, you get to make your own choices.   You get to make it exactly the way you want it.  You get to learn from your failures.  

DIY is so much more fun I can't begin to tell you.  And it's a ****LOT**** cheaper!  How much do you lust after the Big Ticket loudspeakers at $50k or more?   I see people agonize thinking that they HAVE to spend at least $30k, but are wincing every time they put gas in their car.

The Linkwitz LX521 is one of the very finest loudspeaker systems on the planet.  And it's a system, not just a loudspeaker.  That's because it has an active crossover.  You can either go with analog or digital crossovers.   It's a multi-amplified system, so you can build your own from class D modules, or choose from many multi-channel amps out there.  The cabinet is not hard to build.  And one of the most rewarding aspects is that it is something we mere mortals can afford!  The most expensive element is the amplifier choice.   For less than the cost of a used 2013 Nissan Leaf, you could have a truly hi-end loudspeaker system equal to or better than loudspeakers costing more than a new, top-end Tesla Model S.  And the satisfaction you get with DIY cannot be matched by any purchase in a dealer showroom.

Even building a Bob Latino amp kit brings endless satisfaction.

Go DIY as much as you can and you will know happiness.

Post removed