Why are speaker stands so expensive?!

I've been looking to buy a good pair of stands for my bookshelf speakers and for some reason I can't seem to find anything reasonably priced. Why are speakers stands so exorbitantly expensive?

If anyone has recommendations for good stands that won't break the bank, please share!

aamiransari

The speaker stands made for my monitors cost $300 and they're a bargain. Had to assemble them myself but the fit 'n finish was 1st rate. 

The stands for my JBL 4319s went for 25% off and that was a counter offer to my asking for 10% off. I ended up paying $400 for a pair of Wharfedale Linton speaker stands (never parting with them)

.Here's a link to Pro-Jects reissue of their monitor stands for around $400 (€399) and they look rather nice.

If you're talking about spending less, I'm sure there's something out there if you look hard enough.

All the best,
Nonoise

Average speaker stands are not too expensive, but ones that are highly engineered are, and the reason the designers get the money for them is because they are often worth it. Good stands make a big sonic difference.