Who Has the New Top Technics SL1200GRE? Does it blow your other expensive tables away?

What high end tables have you compared it to so far? Results? 
vinny55

Showing 2 responses by billstevenson

Mine is a GAE, modified with GAIA feet, a KAB viscous damper for the arm, and a Stillpoints centerweight.  It is a terrific turntable and is used daily.  It sits side by side with a VPI HW-40, which also is a terrific turntable.  The latter does sound better, of course it does, but the GAE is easier to set up and with the changeable headshell gets configured with different cartridges as the mood and need strike.  I love them both.
The GAE, which weighs approximately 40 lbs., has Isoacoustic GAIA III feet, rated for up to 70 lbs. The HW-40, which weighs approximately 70 lbs., has Isoacoustic GAIA II feet, rated for up to 120 lbs.  FWIW, I asked Isoacoustic Technical Support for their recommendation in choosing these feet for both TT's.  I also use their feet under my speakers.

The feet improved the clarity of the sound, both turntables are quieter  and bass is noticeably better controlled. 

Yes the Gimble Tone Arm is available for other VPI turntables as well.  This is a  very nice sounding tonearm and is the main reason why the HW-40 sounds as good as it does.  In other respects including speed accuracy, quietness and so on, the two turntables are very similar.