which Audio Research pre-amp?

I've pretty much narrowed down my next pre-amp purchase to an Audio Research 6 or GSPre.  Ultimately, this will be paired with an Ayre VX-R.  For the sake of marital harmony I need to spread the purchases out over a few years.  
Is the 6 that much better than the GSPre?  I like the idea of having an integrated phone section but I read that the 6 / Ref 2 SE combo. blew away the phono section of the GSPre.  I don't listen to vinyl that much.  My current phono pre-amp is a Pass Aleph Ono.  thanks.
russellrcncom
A reasonable question a-s, the answer being ARC pre-amps have a certain cache' amongst audiophiles. My question is, why doesn't the op audition both the ARC pre's he is interested in at an ARC dealer? Doesn't trust his own judgment, but "knows" that ARC pre's are "the best"?
OP,

Since you already own a phonostage, I would recommend REF6 over GSPre. The analog section of REF6 is far superior than GSPre.

The Ref 5se is very close to the GSPre. The Ref 6 is a bit better. The Ref 2se phono stage is also better than the one in the GSPre. The Ref 6 and Ref 3 Phono or Ref 2se Phono combination would be my choice. I own a Ref 5se and Ref Phono 2se and they are magnificent.  The Ref Phono 2se has 2 inputs so you can have 2 arms or 2 separate tables.

BTW The GSPre is on my too ugly to own list. It just looks like it is upside down.

@lostbears,

“The GSPre is on my too ugly to own list. It just looks like it is upside down”

That’s funny...but I hear you. I felt the same way and end up mating my GS150 with REF6. 
ARC fan here.

I’d go with the REF-6 for sure.

You say that you don’t listen to vinyl very often. You could save yourself some $$$ and go with a used PH-8.

Frank