Where is the significant point of diminishing returns on hi-end turntable?

For those that don’t know me I am newish to this game. Yes, I believe this chase for perfection in sound reproduction is a game. There are endless variables affecting the sound of every system and 100x that in opinions on each of these variables. I love cool $hit as much as the next guy but I am looking for an analog rig and I keep getting drawn into the seemingly endless "what about this option that costs tons more?". I started with a $6 to $10K budget and now I am considering a $25K setup (Table, cart and phono stage) after talking to a local retailer. I will be blunt, I want to be that guy in the Memorex ad from the 80’s that is getting blown away by his system (my impression is he is overwhelmed by the amazing sound coming from that speaker not the volume). Now that I have acquired some pretty descent stuff I am spending 15 plus hours each week listening and really enjoying this hobby. I don’t want to have any regrets and just be marginally satisfied with my setup but where do I draw the line? Back to my initial question; what is a reasonable amount to spend on an analog setup to achieve the best bang for the buck? I may be somewhat unique in that I don’t want to constantly be upgrading my equipment, I just want to buy great products the first time that are very satisfying and spend hours listening to great music. I don’t want to be the guy always chasing the next great thing.
128x128mmporsche
mmporsche

That is such a cool table. I was a dealer for Transfiguration cartridges and thought they were excellent. Not to bright like many MC cartridges, just a sound you can love. 

Let us know.

Best 
Jim

Table is arriving Wednesday sans cart though @rauliruegas is helping with that piece.

I picked up another load of vinyl from my dad’s collection yesterday. Can’t wait to hear it on new table. Having great fun listening to some truly classic music in the meantime (ella, Nina, Vaughn, Frank, Sammy......)

Also grabbed one of his reel to reel machines.....ugh, does it ever stop. Now I’m also looking for great r2r source material.
Audio manufacturers love it when they have fooled people that more expensive = better or newer = better.Its all hype smoke mirrors and masks.I would have more respect for the question if it were about the least costly turntable arm and cart that sounded good.Your question has no valid answer.
@atmasphere 

I assume you are referring to Oracle's newer acrylic platter mat. I have the original Groove Isolator on my Alex. Would the new mat make a significant improvement? (clearly discernable with mid-fi electronics and hi-fi speakers) Most of the owners of vintage Oracles I've heard from have not upgraded. What makes the Oracle acrylic different than the 2mm, 250g ones that cost $30? I'm not challenging your advice; I'm trying to make an informed decision, as $300 is not an insignificant sum for me to spend on something like a mat. My DL-301 mkII cost only a few dollars more.