Where are the subs?

In listening to the Bach Toccata and Fugue BMV 565, I was struck by how well the organ pedal notes are reproduced since I moved my primary setup to another room. I complemented myself on a fine job of integrating the Velodyne HGS-10 subs with the KEF Ref 1s, using 40 Hz low-pass with 24 dB/octave. But as I thought about it, I didn’t recall connecting the SMS-1 bass manager to the Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp. I checked. The subs were not connected. The Ref 1s alone where reproducing that satisfying bass. Amazing for stand mounted monitors. I sure as hell didn’t expect that. To confirm, I played the Saint-Seans 3rd Symphony. Same result. Makes me wonder if I need bother connecting the subs.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Tim, the speakers are on the 14' wall, an HGS-15 in each corner, an HGS-10 behind each speaker.  The carpet on the wall and ceiling are for video projection, not audio.

Tony, as I understand your suggestion for Casa Dorinda the audio chain would be Sonore microRendu to Codex USB DAC to KV-5 Twenty preamp to VX-5 Twenty amp to KEF LS50s.  Or maybe the QX-5 Twenty digital hub instead of the Codex?  It takes either ethernet or USB, and I'd guess the DAC in the QX-5 might be superior, but Gary at Ayre can provide guidance on that.  The preamp feeds the SMS-1 that controls the four subs.

The Marchand is a fixed high-pass 80 Hz 4th order filter with the particular virtue of being fully balanced and passive.

db  
@dbphd, I wasn’t aware of the QX 5 Twenty having that capasbility. I would certainly go with that over the Sonore/Codex combo.

I was just on the Marchand website looking at their parametric EQ for a project. Interesting choice on the passive version. Just curious, was there a specific reason for that?
@clio09, Charles Hansen had warned against inserting the active Bryston 10B crossover between the Ayre preamp and amp, and it turned out for good reason.  The sense of the music flowing without electronic intervention was compromised.  Ayre places great emphasis on balanced circuitry and zero feedback, so I consulted Gary at Ayre who thought the fully balanced passive high-pass Marchand filter would not compromise those attributes.

I started with a stripped down setup that has neither high nor low pass, and just Roon as a source.  Are you suggesting I replace the KFE Ref 1s with LS50s for the Casa Dorinda setup -- actually, I've thought LS50s supplemented by a sub array might be a good way to go.

db 
Yes use the LS50s with sub array.

Interesting on the passive filter. I may look into it, although I have been very happy with the Beveridge RM-3 active crossover.

dbphd:"Tim, the speakers are on the 14' wall, an HGS-15 in each corner, an HGS-10 behind each speaker.  The carpet on the wall and ceiling are for video projection, not audio."

Hello db,
     That's all good news since there's no need to reconfigure your room's video or audio orientation.  Interesting you use carpet for video projection.
      Another decision you and Tony need to make is the best positioning and distribution of your two 15" and two 10" subs in your room.  I thought it might be useful for you guys to know the details of how I positioned my 4 subs in my very similar sized room (23'x16'), with my main speakers and video display also along the short wall in my room,
 and then include some final advice.  An important difference to keep in mind is that I have four identical 10" subs and you'll have two 15" and two 10" subs.

Here's the setup procedure I used:

1. Disconnect the main speakers

2. Sub#1 is hooked up and placed on its back (driver facing the ceiling) at the normal listening position. Music is played that has good and repetitive bass.

3. Walk around the perimeter of the room, starting at the front right corner of the room and walking counter-clockwise, to]determine exactly where the bass sounds best to you (most accurate, detailed and natural).

4. Place sub#1  at the spot you determined the bass sounded best.

5. Sub#2 is hooked up and placed on its back at the primary listening position. With sub 1 & 2 playing, continue walking from sub#1 around the perimeter of your room counter-clockwise to determine the next spot where the bass sounds best to you.

6. Place sub#2 at the spot you determined the bass sounded best.

7. Repeat this procedure for sub#3 & #4.

Small positioning adjustments may need to be made for each sub due to avoiding furniture and the WAF.

8. Once all 4 subs have been positioned, reconnect the main speakers and verify the sound is to your liking.  If not, start over from the beginning.                                                                                                                     

Since you're setting up a custom DBA system, utilizing two 15" and two 10" self-amplified subs rather than my four identical 10" subs, there's a need for you and Tony to decide the specific order of positioning your subs; there are multiple options:

Option1: Position your two 15" subs first as subs #1+#2 and your two 10" subs last as subs #3+#4.   This option would likely result in the two 15" subs placed near the front of your room and the 10" subs near the rear of the room.

Option2: Position your two 10" subs first as subs #1+#2 and your two 15" subs last as subs #3+#4.   This option would likely result in the two 10" subs placed near the front of your room and the 15" subs near the rear of the room.

Option3: Position your 15" and 10" subs in an alternating pattern starting with a 15" sub as sub#1, a 10" sub as sub#2, a15" sub as sub#3 and a 10" sub as sub#4.  This option would likely result in a 15" and a 10" sub placed near the front of your room and a 15" and a 10" sub placed near the rear of your room.

Option4:Position your 15" and 10" subs in an alternating pattern starting with a 10" sub as sub#1, a 15" sub as sub#2, a10" sub as sub#3 and a 15" sub as sub#4. This option would likely result in a 15" and a 10" sub placed near the front of your room and a 15" and a 10" sub placed near the rear of your room.      

If you and Tony don't feel up to moving your heavy subs around to try all 4 options, I wouldn't blame you. My opinion is that option1 has the best chance of working well.  You could place both 15"s along your front 14' wall, one at each end and below your video carpet.  Place a 10" on each 19' wall on either side of your listening seat and about the same distance back from the front 14' wall as your listening seat.  The 10"s may also work well on opposite ends of the rear 14' wall,  with each 1-2' in from the corners.

Another configuration I think would likely work well is a 15" sub in the middle of each of your front and back 14' walls and a 10" sub in the middle of each of your 19' side walls.

I'd  avoid placing any of your subs in a corner.  They'll produce more and louder bass in corners but avoiding corners, even by 1-2', will produce higher quality bass. 

Tim