what’s a song cover that you think is better than the original?

The first ones to come to mind are Whitney’s version of I Will Always Love You and Allen Stone’s Georgia On My Mind but I would love to hear other contributions as well! I feel like there are a lot of songs where a covered version gets more popular than the original and people end up not realizing that it is a cover (ex. i had a friend that genuinely believed the Jonas Brothers wrote Year 3000). so, what‘a a song that was written by one artist but (figuratively) owned by another?

kazana

This one caused many a debate with my friends back in the day;

Jefferson Airplane's version of "Wooden Ships" 

I love the original, but JA's version for me just takes the song to another level. 

@painter24 - I much prefer the JA version of 'Wooden Ships', and Paul Kantner did co-write it with Crosby and Stills. But then, I like JA a whole lot more than I do CSNY anyway.

@larsman wow, I was not aware of that at all. Missed that bus! 😊

I'm with you with JA. For me, Graham Nash just doesn't/didn't gel with Crosby and Stills. Harmony-wise, yes of course, but if hypothetically, all songs that were  predominantly Nash were removed from the albums, I could quite happily live with it. Probably a blasphemous notion for some, but I just never liked the guy, or a lot of his writing

@painter24 - I'm so with you on the merits of Graham Nash. Nothing against the guy - I loved him in the Hollies and he's a fine photographer, but his CSN(Y) songs, to me, are about the most insipid things I've ever heard (and back then, I listened to a lot more insipid music than I do now! 🤣). Might as well listen to Air Supply or something! Crosby and Stills had some great ones, though....