What makes you build a system around an amplifier?

Serious question. I almost always care about the room and speakers first, then build around that. However, this is not the only way to do things.

If you have ever insisted on keeping your amplifier, but were willing to change everything else around it, please let us know why. What made an amp so outstanding in your mind that it was worth making it your center piece. Imaging? slam?

Be specific about the amp and speakers or other gear that you shuffled through.

Thanks!

E
erik_squires
Great discussion with some really nice points made.

What I've found is, rather than anchor on a specific amp or speaker per se...for me it's turned into a particular sound-style and experience that I've "anchored" on.   Seems like others above are suggesting the same experience for them.

Of course this is a total personal preference thing....but I personally have found to be drawn to the high-efficiency, low-wattage tube amp combo.   On a relative basis, that style of combo seems to draw me emotionally into the music more (in top cases WAY more) than what I consider the even more ballsy (not necessarily more dynamic), close-to-ruler-flat-curve, multi-driver, multi-way crossed-over, 93 db and down speakers driven by ultra dead quiet, big wattage, total-control-of-the-situation amps (both SS and tubed).  Both styles can sound phenomenal, and often the latter systems are equally or more expensive than the former, so I think I'm fairly comparing like-quality and like-costing systems as I've drawn my own personal conclusions for what I'm craving and prefer.  And to be very clear, I've heard a number of super expensive high-efficiency/low-power amp combos that do NOT produce the emotional sound I crave, so there is absolutely still a "search" needed to determine what moves one the most, even within a particular design approach.  And this may be controversial, but I will say cost does play in here--in some cases a lot.  That's not to say that there are not some lower-cost sleepers (I own a few), but my most expensive stuff almost linearly produces more emotional sound than the more moderately (yet still costly) gear, when I truly want to sit inside rarified air.

I have been moved deeply by systems that involved Classic Audio Reproductions, Zu, Altec classic horns, and Auditorium 23 speakers, combined with Atma-Sphere OTL, Thoress 845 SET monos, Audion 300B Golden Dreams, and Melody 845 integrateds.  I have bought and kept many of these combos, and in a few cases they are on a short list for future purchase.  Will I keep it all?  I don't know, but for me I'm nearing points of emotional well-being in audio that I don't think I'd reached in previous years/previous systems.  I will be shocked if I'm tempted away from top-end SET, PSET, and OTL amps driving very high-efficiency speakers, although the combos and brands may continue evolve.

In summary, I think I've anchored on the "sound" I want to try to achieve, more so than a particular piece of gear or two, for what that's worth to the discussion.
Last night I attended a local audio event and auditioned a pair of fairly expensive speakers from a well-respected manufacturer, which sounded really "grainy" and not at all pleasing to my ears.
So......I think I'd most agree with those who would select the speakers and work back from them.
Post removed 
ejr1953---Are you sure the speakers weren't merely reproducing the grainy sound of the amplifier driving them? I have found "grain" to be more a product of electronics than speakers.
Amps are personal (in my opinion)  and I think it is perfectly fine to build a system around one.  Sure preamps and speakers are very important but an amp is the soul of the system.  Of course so are fuses, power cords and isolation lol ;)