What makes a speaker sound great at low volume?

Most of the time I hear music at a low volume (wifey, apartment, ....). 

I am looking to upgrade my current speakers, but in my market scanning I would like to understand, if there are certain “metrics” to look for, before I start going to stores for listening. 

Any advice? 
mtraesbo
Many thanks for a lot of inspiring input. I have enjoyed reading the responses including the recommendations for other ways to improve SQ than replacing speakers.

My selected take-away for now is
- go for high sensitive speaker (above 92 DB)
            - eventually go for Horns
            - eventually go for studio monitors (or mid size speakers) 
- add EQ in some way, either via DAC, Pre-AMP or room correction
- replace current AMP with a Tube-based AMP

I will start with the speakers and move down the list - and replace my DAC at some point. 

Many thanks. Michael
My experience shows me that good interconnects and especially an upgraded power cord (nothing crazy here. Say $50 for each set of phone plugs to get decent quality plugs and say $75 for the power cord. The Pangea cord from Audio Advisor is very good). People tend to go crazy here but there is a point of diminishing returns of dollar to sound quality. My point is being-to recover as much detail as possible which fleshes out the music at lower levels and does improve efficiency as well. Speaker placement through trial and error, assists greatly to produce a solid sound stage where getting the tweeters at ear level is important.  Smaller speakers, say between Dynaudio to Def Tech 800s are great with a quality subwoofer.  
Chayro gave you very good advice. I listen at low volumes because my ears are sensitive. It's been Magnepan or Quad for nearly 50 years (2905's for a dozen years now, and no thoughts of, or lusts for, change).

Magnepan or Quad. Nothing else comes close.