What made you change to a 6SN7 preamp?

If you made an intentional shift toward a 6SN7-based tube preamp, what sonic characteristics motivated your move?

I have been doing some comparisons and think I have some reasons I like the 6SN7 better, but there are so many factors which could be at play, that I'm not sure what is responsible. 

Rather than list my details for others to analyze, I'd rather hear your answer to the basic question.

Tell me about your path toward a 6SN7 preamp?

What did you change from and why?

Even if, overall, the change was worth it, did you lose anything in the transition? What?

128x128hilde45

@dougthebiker , You know I had a Schitt Freya a few years ago and I miss it. I've bought pricier things and still think about the pleasure the Freya brought me.  The Freya was worthy pairing with gear even 5x its price. It's that good in my humble view. 

Here's a summary of my story. I had owned, used and enjoyed Naim equipment for several decades. When I got my Quad 63s and had a friend over he said "I wonder how these would sound with tubes..."

Another friend had always run tube equipment. At one time I'd been using a Dynakit ST-70 and enjoyed it a lot.

I started asking around on various fora about tube preamps. On one board (I don't even remember which one it was) someone who seemed to know what he was talking about recommended that I look at preamps based around the 6SN7 tube. I think he suggested a Don Sachs.

With little understanding of what I was even trying to learn I started to read up on the various forums. I was getting ready to buy a Don Sachs preamp when I ran across the "Preamp Deal of the Century" thread here. 

After much reflection I decided to order a Supratek. It was the first new, full price piece of equipment, other than phono cartridges, I'd bought in many years. It was worth every penny, even though it is the most expensive thing I've ever bought. I've never, ever had a moment of buyer's remorse. Not even a particle.

On other threads you might notice this comment, which now kind of represents my equipment philosophy. I want hand-made, technically superb equipment built by fanatics. Sole proprietors, ideally. Boutique-type stuff. Or hard-core dedicated experts and technical geniuses. I am less interested in equipment built by companies run by egotistical promoters who get a lot of press. I'm not saying their equipment isn't good. I'm just talking about my preferences. 

I totally agree with Bigkitz. I own and have for almost 20 years, a 6SN7 based preamp, bigger soundstage rich sound is a spot on characterization. I am currently listening to an upgraded  vintage preamp that is more preferable in my situation. As in all things audio, good, better, best is a parlor conversation not an indicator of what a specific listener is going to ultimately prefer. 

In building preamp amplifiers, the 6SN7 based tube in general is a warmer sound, more relaxed presentation, more dimensional soundstage with real mid-range beauty.  That being said, the 6DJ8/6922 is generally more dynamic, faster, better clarity, and more slam.  It is a more upfront presentation.

6DJ8s were not designed for audio and have trouble with microphonics. I find it far easier to find a low microphonic 6SN7. Microphonics tend to add an iridescence to the sound that is distortion, so despite the nice linearity of the 6DJ8 I learned to stay away from them.