What cd for $1000 is best for this system?

My friend has the following system and has asked me for recommendations for cd player for $1K. Used at $1K is what I'm asking about. If you feel that he should spend less given his equipment, that's good. I have been told that the cornerhorns can have the crossovers upgraded and that improves them a lot. Is that true and what does it cost?
lakefrontroad

Showing 2 responses by clio09

I am told the new TRL modified Sony DVP-NS900V is one of the most musical CD players for the money (I'll know soon as I'm getting ready to send mine off). A'gon member Ecruz just posted about his. If you can find the player, with the cost of the mods you're looking at around $800-$1k. The Sony which I believe Boa2 is referring to is the Sony 595 or perhaps the 777ES. Both were highly praised in a 6moons review by Stephaen Harrell. These will also run under $1k. Call Paul Weitzel at TRL, they have done several hundred digital mods and I'm sure they can make some recommendations for you.
Lkdog,

Good advice. I might also throw out the names of Modwright and Emprical Audio.

BTW - the Sony DVP-NS900V appears to have been more than just a hit at CES. I'm told by those that exhibited there that there was a huge line to get into that specific room.

Lakefrontroad - seriously, if you're doing due diligence for your friend then you owe it to them to check modded options and out of the box options out.