What cartridges under $800 outperform DL-103R?

I have a brass plate on my nude DL-103 and I'm ready for a change. I'm looking for more air and ambiance, but don't want to sacrifice extension on either end.

I'm debating whether to try Uwe's Panzerholz body on a 103R, or try something altogether different like a Dynavector 20XH, Sumiko Blackbird, Lyra Dorian, Zyx R50 Bloom. I had a Benz Glider L2 (0.4 mV) for a while, but didn't find it any better than the 103R. My tonearm is Micro Seiki MA-707.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mingles

Showing 6 responses by mapman

To better a 103R in that price range, I'd be curious regarding the enhancements Soundsmith or others provide for the 103R itself.
Hxt1,

Can you describe how the redone 103 is better than the original.

Can I assume the stylus was worn when you had it retipped? Could that account for some of the difference with teh new one or is the new one just clearly better than the old in good working order?
Hxtl,

Wow. Thanks for your detailed account. I do not find it hard to believe that such a good sounding device out of the can can be made to sound even better for reasonable cost!

There may be a Soundsmith cartridge somewhere in my future when my current 103R starts to get rough around the edge.
Ptmconsulting,

Cartridges are one thing that I hesitate to buy used because the wear and tear is inherent and it is hard to determine remaining life. Tubes and tube devices are another item I feel this way about. Buying used doesn't phase me with most other items where the wear and tear is more obvious.
Acee,

I think you should probably contact SOundsmith or other shop that services the 103s and go over it with them.