What cartridges under $800 outperform DL-103R?

I have a brass plate on my nude DL-103 and I'm ready for a change. I'm looking for more air and ambiance, but don't want to sacrifice extension on either end.

I'm debating whether to try Uwe's Panzerholz body on a 103R, or try something altogether different like a Dynavector 20XH, Sumiko Blackbird, Lyra Dorian, Zyx R50 Bloom. I had a Benz Glider L2 (0.4 mV) for a while, but didn't find it any better than the 103R. My tonearm is Micro Seiki MA-707.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mingles

Showing 1 response by armstrod

I own both a stock Denon 103R and a Zyx Bloom (.48). They're both pretty good and I'm not sure I could call either one better overall. The 103R has great extension at both extremes, but the highs are a little more etched and the bass just slightly fat. The mids are fabulous and the detail is more than adequate throughout the range. The conical stylus makes it very easy to set up, since it's not real sensitive to misalignment, but also makes it noisier in the groove.

The Zyx is more refined and tighter within its range and has better detail than the 103R, but doesn't have that real magic in the mids. It needs far more careful alignment, but is WAY quieter in the groove once it's dialed in. When I bought it, I didn't have as much phono gain as I have now, so I got the higher output version. The .24 version might be a little different - I'm sure Mehran could describe both for you.

That brings up the final point. While the Denon has 40-50 years of Denon research and refinement behind it, the Zyxs have Mehran, at least here in the US. He's a pleasure to work with, and a true gentleman.

I fear your experience with the cartridges you're considering may be the same as with the Benz you tried - while they may all be different from the 103R, they may not be noticeably "better".

David